Harness lines and foot straps - beginner's question

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

vixo7

Harness lines and foot straps - beginner's question

Post by vixo7 »

Hi all, I just started using the windsurf harness and now I'm trying to make my way further back on the board to the foot straps. When I get in the straps, I feel the harness line pushing forward the front of the board. Do you move the harness straps further back on the boom when you use the foot straps compared to where you otherwise would use it?. I currently have them approximately 5 fists from the mast and I'm wondering if I have to set them farther away from the mast.

Also, when I use the straps, the board tends to go upwind and I don't last longer than 30 seconds. However. this I believe maybe due to a small sail (6.5m with 12mph winds), and lack of practice. What do you think?

I'm currently using a Bic Nova 170 with a 6.5m sail.

Thanks for the help,

Vicente.
johntr

Re: Harness lines and foot straps - beginner's question

Post by johntr »

Vicente:

I don't notice that I need to change the position of the harness lines when I get in the straps. I do notice that in higher winds I have to slightly move the harness lines back so I can sheet in -- but that's a very small move. In general, I think you should aim to have the harness lines balanced so they hold the sail for you if you let go with both hands briefly.

When you get in the straps do you notice that the upwind rail sinks? That's common if you're not quite powered up, or if you're too "heavy" with your feet. To get in the straps you need the board solidly on the plane, so it holds even as you move back and out to the straps. As you get in the straps, you have to think about sneaking your feet into the straps so the board doesn't "notice" the change. Keep as much weight as possible on the harness lines, so much of your weight is directed through the mast foot onto the board.

Best,
John
itl

Post by itl »

First hello everybody- this is the first time I have posted.

Could experts weigh in on if this board needs more sail to use it planing? I find my mistral explosion 144 to be great with a 8.5 or 7.5, but hard to control with my 6.2. Also- should you use the centerboard on the bic when you are in the footstraps?

-Ian
Wheeler

Post by Wheeler »

A couple of quick comments:

John is right, as much weight as possible on the harness, but to clarify, he means down not outward. YOu could almost feel like you are sitting in your harness off of your lines. It could be good to use your hands and arms with pressure aswell until you get more comfortable with your harness. When you are putting the weight down (on hands or harness, think about trying to push the mast base into/towards the water (if that makes any sense to you). That will help get weight off your feet, so you can be a ballerina and ush the nose of the board down, helping it plane. I also dont think you need to move your harness lines.

As for the 144l board. If you are fully powered and planing, 7.0-8.5 would be perfect on that board. 6.2 is starting to get a little small/too windy. If you feel comfortable on the big board, it might be time to move down a few litres, maybe 110-120. You will notice a huge difference in board control.

Wheeler
vixo7

Post by vixo7 »

Good advice, thank you. I'll try it next time I"m out there.
Dopper

Post by Dopper »

I also have a Nova. I had a lot of trouble getting into the straps on that board until I got a bigger fin. My board came with a stock 40cm fin. That fin never gave me enough lift in most winds to get into the straps. I would also round up wind because as I moved to the ouside strap position my weight would lean the board windward and she would head up-wind.Once I got into strong enough winds the size of the board made it tough to handle in big waves, as well. I purchased a 58 cm weed fin (for light wind sailing) and it made all the difference in the world. With that fin I could stand on the outside edge and hang on! I wish I had done that the first 2 years I owned the board. I would have learned a lot faster and would have had a lot more fun! I hope this helps a little.
DDD
steveb

Post by steveb »

A good guide is for your harness lines to be approx 36% the length of outhauled sail back from the mast.
Another trick is to hold your boom with one hand, get some wind in the sail and find the balance point. Put your front harness on the balance point and the back one about 6 inches behind it.
Regional Ozone Team rider