Open Water....

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Gust User

Open Water....

Post by Gust User »

Looks like Pepin is going to open up any day now. Ice has been looking rotten for 2 weeks now. I stood on the shore a couple weeks ago and tossed a rock out there and it broke off a huge chunk. Went down to the park at the north end of town yesterday and there is a huge gap in the ice from the park all the way to the center of the lake. Open water from the park to the center and quite a bit of open water in the center. I would guess the ice will break up within a week or so. Can't wait for the swap! Looking for an XXL dry suit and a used board.
Ride On!

Gamer Tag: Starbuxfiend
Chris Lock

Re: Open Water....

Post by Chris Lock »

Was down there yesterday, the northern half is about 75% open, the bottom half is still socked
in but turning dark blue. What we need is a a big bloody boat ta come baaarrrrging thru mateys.
Gust User

Post by Gust User »

OPEN WATER!!!!

North end of the lake is open for business!! The rest of the lake should be open water by the end of the week.
Ride On!

Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Anyone one in Hudson know how things are ice-wise in front of the marina and public boat launch? I was over there Saturday and the ice was going fast.
Uffe

Post by Uffe »

We had 6 windsurfers out on Big Creek north of Des Moines on Saturday, it was perfect, the ice had all melted (lake was fully covered last weekend). Saturday was one of my best 1st time iowa sessions in a while, 68 degree air temp, sunny 34 degree water. Guys were fully lit on 6.6 and 110L boards, myself I sailed Formula and 9.0 way overpowered. Even got my 1st big crash in for the year. (yeah the 9.0 had something to do with it.) :lol: Winds were South/west 17-28 MPH. pretty gusty.

Saylorville and Big Creek north of Des Moines are both fully open.
Gust User

Post by Gust User »

The north end marina is all open water. The main marina in town still has ice in front of it. But it is all open water from the north park and rest all the way to the boat launch and twards the marina.
Ride On!