Peak oil is starting to rear it's ugly head.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Hank is no longer involved with wind sports. So, why does he lurk here?
All the posts from us "fun" people having so much fun must really stomp Hanks buzz. I believe Hank is a bit like the Grinch. Every time the price of gas goes up he gets a bit giddy. Hank is anxiously awaiting the demise of our great nation so everyone will be a miserable as he is.

...I don't know how you could ever quit windsurfing or kiteboarding? I would sell myself to old men or even those fugly chicks who had the room next to mine at the Garrison Inn and Suites before I quit.
ice_kmauve

Post by ice_kmauve »

By the way, they've still got guys in cages in Guantanamo, people are being slaughtered in darfur, and the rainforest is beign burnt down to plant cassava. These are examples of important subjects that we all might want to pay attention to, but maybe not during our kite time.

My vote would be to not censor anyone. Apart from that, I wonder if anyone seriously wants to explore the idea of finding cheaper ways to get to the lake. For me it's about a 12 mile trip. If there were a moped or even a renewable means to get there I'd be interested in thinking about it. BUt, for all of that, kiting is just a modern sport that eats up a lot of oil-for transportation, building kites, etc. for most riders. As in most modern endeavors, those that try to do something different are in the vast minority and are viewed as either eccentric tinkerers or laughable greenies. (think biodiesel folk, or people that bicycle everywhere year round to get the image I'm talking about)

In amongst all of this I think there could be some talk of "green kiting" where one might try to make the footprint smaller. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the energy consumed in going about our lives generally, but still, a worthwhile endeavor and for the individual who practices it, I could see it leading to changes in other areas of their life, or in more enjoyment of the sport as a "whole endeavor" to get away from it as an obsession like it is for most of us.

Oh and by the way, the world is supposed to end on Dec 12, 2012 in case you wanted to know. Pump your kite up with that and try to ride it.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Funny you mentioned Dec 2012 Dave 'cause that's what I was thinking! Peak Oil?! So what? We're all gonna get sucked into a black hole on the winter solstice of 2012! I have gotta stop watching all the gloom and doom on the History Channel.

Where have you been all winter, Dave? Sucked into a black hole too?
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

if that's the case i best quit my job, drop out of school and pack up my kite :wink:
Woodette

Post by Woodette »

I just can't help myself and have to post too!
I grew up in Germany and we dealt with the high gas prices 30 years ago. I remember Sunday's during the oil crisis, where only cars with uneven numbers on their license plates were allowed to drive and next Sunday cars with even numbers. We can all deal with it and make adjustments, I'm sure.
I work from at home, so I don't feel a bit of guilt going on these long road trips to have fun on the water or ice together. I make up for it. It's called balance. If you want to drive Duluth for an epic session, go for it, grab your friends and do it! Fuel for the soul.
When we got back from our last road trip the Xing, I thanked Tighe for the amazing daily efforts and time he puts into LAKAWA.
A site we check to see what other riders are doing, who is coming to an event, what's new (and I check if there is a comment from Steve Blain :oops: )
LAKAWA to me is a site "where friends meet friends"...what's the point of posting, if you can't share the friendship and passion :?:
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Dave, this gets close to 50mpg, and it is on the sportier side. You can find plenty of used bikes for under 1K that will do even better for fuel efficiency. 2 kites and 2 boards is no problemo.

Woodette

Post by Woodette »

Oh, and about getting sucked into the big, black hole..
Just make sure you hang onto the Canadians, cause they'll bring enough beer for everybody :lol:

Woodette
steveb

Post by steveb »

Hey Brian...just out of interest how much were you thinking of charging the old guys?
Regional Ozone Team rider
Hank

Post by Hank »

BSMITH wrote:Hank is no longer involved with wind sports. So, why does he lurk here?
All the posts from us "fun" people having so much fun must really stomp Hanks buzz. I believe Hank is a bit like the Grinch. Every time the price of gas goes up he gets a bit giddy. Hank is anxiously awaiting the demise of our great nation so everyone will be a miserable as he is.

...I don't know how you could ever quit windsurfing or kiteboarding? I would sell myself to old men or even those fugly chicks who had the room next to mine at the Garrison Inn and Suites before I quit.
an how do you know? Just cause you wimps could never figure out how to sail a 12' board with a 10m sail in 20 knot winds.

Wimps, just a bunch of mommy boy wimps. :twisted:
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hank,

Like you I share a concern for the way our modern society is built on fossil fuel. I have an interest in renewable, sustainable and low impact sources of energy and I agree that we should advocate efficiency and conservation of energy, as we seemingly chase the wind frivolously.

However, I must say that the way you present your case on the forum is neither appealing nor convincing. Instead, it is alienating and divisive. It is unfortunate that you would rather attract attention to yourself than to the issue. You missed an opportunity to connect with a great community that shares an understanding and respect for the power of the wind. Instead you prefer to troll, wrapped in controversy and claiming misunderstanding, which is of no surprise to me given how you approach people here. You are fighting the good fight, but you keep firing every which way, making no distinction of friend or foe. I suggest that you re-evaluate your technique and be more constructive. That way you could foster a meaningful dialogue between all of us who share a passion for harnessing the power of the wind.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Hank

Post by Hank »

Denis wrote:Hank,

Like you I share a concern for the way our modern society is built on fossil fuel. I have an interest in renewable, sustainable and low impact sources of energy and I agree that we should advocate efficiency and conservation of energy, as we seemingly chase the wind frivolously.

However, I must say that the way you present your case on the forum is neither appealing nor convincing. Instead, it is alienating and divisive. It is unfortunate that you would rather attract attention to yourself than to the issue. You missed an opportunity to connect with a great community that shares an understanding and respect for the power of the wind. Instead you prefer to troll, wrapped in controversy and claiming misunderstanding, which is of no surprise to me given how you approach people here. You are fighting the good fight, but you keep firing every which way, making no distinction of friend or foe. I suggest that you re-evaluate your technique and be more constructive. That way you could foster a meaningful dialogue between all of us who share a passion for harnessing the power of the wind.
just some guy on the internet with zero wind addiction tendencies. :lol:

yeah, make it a personal attack. Like i care................. :lol: :D
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Hank,
Denis was not personally attacking you. He was trying to give you a chance to make your point in a constructive way.

People,
This is really sad. Hank obviously has issues that go way beyond a point of view. We are just feeding the fire of a person that has a few things that need to be addressed. I’m asking everyone to take it easy on him. I hope one day Hank can be a part of this great community.
Slingshot Kiteboarding/Midwest Mountaineering Regional Team Rider
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

steveb wrote:Hey Brian...just out of interest how much were you thinking of charging the old guys?
I'm not sure. I may have to get creative to make it out to the Gorge again this summer.

...and Steve, with your wit, and that accent, I would do you anytime!
steveb

Post by steveb »

:D :) :lol: :shock: :oops: :twisted:
Regional Ozone Team rider
ice_kmauve

Post by ice_kmauve »

Hey guys, thanks for noticing my absence this winter. I know this is going to sound kind of dumb, but I got into hockey. I know, but I needed something with more cardio in it. Don't worry, I still kite.

I rode a lot early on in the season, but as the surface became less pliable I did as well. My knees hate that stuff. On the bright side, my Roo 12 is back in action. Ugliest repair job ever, but it flies. Sorry also to miss some fun events like the "Crossing," but things came up.

Another theme here is that I have put most of my spare time and money into kiting since late 2005 and certain other areas of my life are anxiously awaiting my return. You can fill in the blanks on that yourself but just take a guess.

Mike I thought you were a bit goofy after you showed up with the road bike loaded with your kite gear. I think it will begin to look less goofy at precisely $7.43 per gallon. But not before, sorry. Anyway it leaves the car for the wife I suppose.

Looking forward to ice out guys. Yet I have no large kite. I would love to "demo" yours. I lost my 16 roo in Padre on a down winder and I'm still working on forgiving the universe for stealing that ride from me (I mean the kite and the down winder).

And finally, the best way to deal with trolls is to post irrelevant, long replies to them.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
Hank

Post by Hank »

OK, I'm cool. Maybe I will make out to WB this summer. Didn't sail at all last year and only been out a few times a year for about the last 10. 8)

just a relic from the Dennis Jenson days......... :roll:
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Well, I'm thinking the sooner we use up all the oil, the sooner we'll be forced to find a saner and more efficient energy source.
So thats why I'm trying to do my part by choosing a job flying an airplane that pisses out five hundred gallons an hour of spent fossil fuels into our atmosphere.

I dont really want to do it, but I feel its my patriotic duty.

Brian, I'm worried about you man, couldnt ya just sell Amway or something for that little extra cash? Or I could just lend you the money
for the Gorge, no strings attached, honest.