Island Lake Expo

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Nathan B

Island Lake Expo

Post by Nathan B »

Big props to Randy Carlson at UMD rec Program for hosting the expo .
It went off (literaly) as you all know over the weekend and randy was still able to pull of a expo teaching people in crazy winds and safely, he has some really cool little sheatable 3m foils they were using on Sat.
Really nice turn out for the conditoins lots of locals & more avid and new coming out to check out snowkiting Dispite the nasty weather MNadveture helped put it on and Pete from MWSKS was there to help with lessons
NSK was there holding it down for SS and saturday was some crazy wind as most of you know .. maybe hunter got some pics? or pete ? or someone? .

quite a few kiters got up there early and ripped it up early Adam T , MIke and others sounded like they had some nice sessoins before the wind got to crazy.

After the day was done randy had use set up with a display of Kiteboarding at the boulder lake lodge which is a cool place for nordic and snowkiting cool area . randy had videos and we talked shop And checked out his new ideas for nite kiting he has some cool ways to lite up your kites.

Sunday we kited Boulder lake and the expo continued with lessons and gear demos and every one was riding despite the cold ..Boulder had some awesome natural terrian .

really cool event and look forward to going back next year !

Thanks Randy
Mattchew

Post by Mattchew »

I echo alot of those thoughts, got a chance to get out ride early saturday before the 45s came, a nice little home coming after learning to kite on that lake a year ago (with 4 inches less snow, yet the same patient randy).
-Randy can put on a good show, thanks for that man, and to all others who taught, learned or watched from the car, keep living the dream
Hunter Welles

Post by Hunter Welles »

Nathan summed it up pretty well, overall really fun weekend. Saturday was a little bit much, but even in the cold on Sunday we were out riding and exploring. There is some really cool natural kickers all over the lake caused by some of the rocks peaking through the ice, sweet place to ride especially if they got a little more snow. I wish I had pics of these, but at least I have a few screen shots ill post up from Island Lake on Saturday during the peak of the wind.

Also thanks to Randy for putting on the event, hopefully next year more people from the cities will venture up there for the event. There is some sweet places to ride, both on Island Lake and the Boulder Dam with its natural kickers.
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »