4th Annual Mille Lacs Kite Crossing Feb 29-Mar 2

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

4th Annual Mille Lacs Kite Crossing Feb 29-Mar 2

Post by Tighe »

It's coming. THE event of the season. The Annual Mille Lacs Crossing has been blessed each year with unique conditions, ranging from freezing mist to 8 inches of powder. Mother nature always seems to come through and provides plenty of riding over the weekend. No matter your skill level, this weekend is designed around riding. The majority of the weekend is a freeride session, then when the conditions look ideal, the decision will be made by the race director to initiate the race. While open to everyone, the race is completely optional.

Fleet 8 will be posting registration materials shortly. Registration typically gets you: some swag, registration/support during the race, and a banquet on Saturday night.
Plan to make a weekend of it, and join riders from around the world in one of our state's premiere riding locations.

photo: Woody
photo: Viv Clark
photo: Viv Clark
Last edited by Tighe on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tighe
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Last year there were a lot of great ideas for loose competitions, like highest jump, longest jump, fastest speed, etc. Can't remember them all. The conditions didn't quite work out last year, but I think it'd be fun to consider these again.
Tighe
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Are any of you girl kiters going to race this year? I know there was one last year, but is anyone else going to this year? I would like to race, but I'm not sure if I will be good enough by that time.

~Squirrel
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

I'll be racing; tighe talked me into it. Yea, i don't know how ready i'll be by then either. I can barely make it across wb without my legs screaming at me. I'll give it a shot...looking forward to it! It would be nice to have a group of ladies out there! :D I believe leah is racing also.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

you can do it squirrel!! we can start training the weekend.

It would be great to see the ladies do the mens course this year.
:roll:
Jon
Jon Stroh
steveb

Post by steveb »

Nancy will be there so one more lady.
I know you guys can do it and you should go to the event,it's not just the race it's the social, the stoke, meeting new people ,seeing old friends, making old friends,and the challenge of the race. And going to the Goose.
For the record I've never done a crossing without my legs screaming, my arms burning or something cramping. It's tough, it's supposed to be. If you can't finish take pride in being out there and see if you can get further the next year. It's a personal challenge.
I've been involved in wind sports all my life, I can read the wind and know when I'm lifted or headed and which tack is the best for the direction I'm racing. In the crossing tactics be damned, I tack when my legs can't stand it any more and I need to change my position and reduce the load on my legs. Survivals a tactic too.
There's pleasure in knowing everyones hurting and their muscles are screaming, if they look like they're not in pain they're trying to psych you out.
So go for it. If you can ride in a straight line and turn you have all the skills you need.
Mike Fox....how about a womens division this year???.
Regional Ozone Team rider
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

Mike Fox....how about a womens division this year???
Yes please :D
Anna D

Post by Anna D »

I was really hoping to do the crossing this year, but I'm not sure I'll be back in shape in time because I'm having surgery next week. Eric and Anna Paulson...the disaster team! Hope to at least see everyone at the party.
steveb

Post by steveb »

What the hecks going on with you guys...spousal abuse?
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Geez, I miss all the good stuff. I haven't made a crossing yet. Will be in Switzerland being cultural and trying their hills out. Going to miss the charity rides this weekend too. At least I got to make the Swede gathering! Maybe it will be postponed as the weekend I get back there will be a huge spring powdery dump like last year :roll: :shock:
ENJOY :) ........... Bill
PMILLION

Post by PMILLION »

If I have a kite to ride, I'll be up there too. Sounds like a blast!
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

PMILLION,
come up regardless.. extreme will have a ton of demo gear from flexifoil, best, and liquidforce. If the winds will allow us we will have a tent set up on the ice.

Jon
Jon Stroh
Mattchew

Post by Mattchew »

The festivities are a blast and the goose has a great nite life

A word to the wise, the goose can bite back

I was on a kite for the fourth time last year and i still had a blast, don't miss it
Woody

Post by Woody »

Always a highlight of the season for us to ride with everyone at Mille Lacs be it summer, or winter!

See ya's at The Kite Crossing :P
Michael F

Post by Michael F »

Thanks for the post, Tighe.
Mike Fox....how about a womens division this year???.
Steve, is your helmet getting too tight? We've had a women's division since the second Kite Crossing. Last year, we had both ski and snowboard divisions for women, thanks to Emily's input. We are currently finalizing the format for this year, but there will definitely be at least two divisions for women. More to come.
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
steveb

Post by steveb »

So I guess what you're saying Mike .....is there's a womens division.
Great, takes the pressure off, I don't have to worry about Nancy kicking my ass in the race, even if she beats me " but honey it doesn't count, you're in the womens div".
Thanks for the ego saver Mike.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Ashleigh said that she is up for the crossing too!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
Hunter Welles

Post by Hunter Welles »

PMILLION,
come up regardless.. extreme will have a ton of demo gear from flexifoil, best, and liquidforce. If the winds will allow us we will have a tent set up on the ice.

Jon
All of the local slingy guys and maybe even our rep will be in town. We will have lots of different kites for you to try out, T2s, Revs, Fuels, Rangers. Definitely come up, should be a fun weekend!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Ride on Hunter.
Yeah, we'll have Slingshot REVs, T2s (maybe a T3), and Fuels for demo.

Events are a great opportunity to try kites back to back, check out as many brands as you can, if nothing else it will give you an idea of what the differences are.

ride on.
Tighe
Hunter Welles

Post by Hunter Welles »

We will also have the SlingScamp set up for demoing out slingshot gear. Look for the little white bubble, come warm up inside, and check out all of new Slingshot gear.