She rolled right through

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

She rolled right through

Post by Tighe »

It was great...last weds I saw the isobars tightening up for saturday and maybe sunday. Coach posts indecisiveness about where to go on Saturday...on Thursday. The posts start coming in on Friday..."where ya heading, Green, Spirit, Mille Lacs????"

Friday night I headed to the Eastern side of Wisconsin...yes away from the wind...for a wedding on Saturday night. Saturday morning I checked my email...a whole stream of emails initiated by Eric..again where we going??? I was hard though I felt excited by sessions to be had...even if I wasn't to be a part of them. This morning, sunday morning, I read the reports of sessions near and far as the system rolled in from the west. Scott left a voice mail that he didn't get on the water here in the Twin Cities till 5:30 and still score a good pole board session and a kite session...solo on Waconia...till sunset. As I was reading these postings this morning the trees started to bend at my fathers farm near Appleton, WI. After a leasurely breakfast I headed to a favorite local lake...not the big one, Winnebago, but one of its appendages, Poygan...About the size of Green but much more shallow. I kited for about two hours before having to start back to the cities. As I was on the water I thought to myself that it was the same wind that rolled through Minnesota on Saturday. With the extended anticipation and the reports of her strength, my session was that much more ...almost recognizable.

It would be fun sometime to catch a system up in ND, ride the big lake, then at night head to Mille Lacs, ride again then head to Lake Michegan and catch it one last time before it jumped to the other side...or if it worked out, take the ferry across and sail the western side of Michegan. Not sure if the same people could sail and drive, both might take a lot out of you. ...or then again, just stay local and sail southerlies, rest and head back out in the NWerlies.

The season may be beginning.
Tighe
Dave Schneider

Me, too in Sconny!

Post by Dave Schneider »

Tighe,

I was at my folks' place in Shawano, which is just about an hour northwest of Appleton. I heard the rustling of the trees early on Sunday morning, as well, and I headed out for a session on Shawano Lake. The wind was SW, which is side-on for the launch at the end of the road (which was recently filled with oversized rip-rap, which has peeved me to no end.) I originally went out on the Loft 6.6, but the wind was not quite enough, so I put up the Loft 8.4 and had a great two hours ripping in the relatively flat water. When it's 6.0 or better and west, the swells set up nicely on Shawano, which is about 8-9 miles long east to west and about a mile across. Shallow out a long way and clean, too. That was my first session in 8 weeks. Talk about a wind draught.
Dave Schneider
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Tighe, in your post you write:

"I was hard though I felt excited by sessions to be had..."

Dude, is that a typo, a Freudian slip, an intentional expression of the libidinal energy of wind-riding?

Glad you got a session, bro'. Rock on!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Must have been Freudian. I meant " It was hard, though I was excited by the sessions to be had..."

Glad everyone got some around the region.
Tighe