"New" launch at Cannon

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Mike W

"New" launch at Cannon

Post by Mike W »

Tired of the tension with the fisherman at the old kite launch at Cannon, I launched out of the Ackerman (with Kevin's help) yesterday. It worked out fine, but is not a spot I would recommend to others. Late in the session I checked out a spot on the NW corner of the lake which should work great. There is ample shoulder room to park and rig, a large opening to get a kite to the water, and nice bottom with shallows that extend out to the S. The idea is that you get in the water, walk upwind and then drift launch, but assisted launches in the water could work too. The spot is past the bridge as the road starts to turn to the SW.

Having said all of this, it is a nice launch spot by Cannon standards. It is still a pretty hardcore spot though, so don't go down there expecting Ramsey Beach or Malmo.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I have used that launch on the NW side occasionally; it does work well. If there are fisherman present at the usual launch I've had good luck just asking if I can slip into the water between their casts and walk my kite upwind. There's really only one guy who's not cool.

Just got back from a weekend on Lake Michigan where the southerlies and water temps were more like July than October.

Bill
Sid

Post by Sid »

That launch is great so long as there isn't too much west in it. The shallowest part is at the southern end of the available shoreline.
Bill, you missed a couple of good southerlies and a 90 degree day on Saturday at Cannon. Mike, you were fun to sail around.
Sid
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Thanks, Sid. It was good to be out there with you guys again.

Bill, a tree fell across the opening we used to use at the old spot. So, if the fisherman block the remaining opening, it is a tough situation. I plan to use the NW launch when I am down there. It was remarkable to see two guys windsurfing way up on the S side of the lake. They must have launched from the beach on th SE corner. I bet that would work as a kite launch on a SW. Anyone tried it?