Safety on the Beach

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JRN

Safety on the Beach

Post by JRN »

I thought we were pretty good kids at Prk. Pt. on Sunday. But once again I did see several sets of large eyes when people encroached too tightly.
One kite was sined within feet of two kayakers during a launch sequence
and they were not happy. Another instance found a surfer being cut off on a waveface by said kiter. Please be patient out there and let our less mobile bretheren proceed before bombing through the crowds. I love riding Superior waves, too. Please think about safety, keep plenty of space between yourself, other kiters, windsurfers, surfers, and especially onlookers any time you are kiting. I don't want to loose this precious resource due to the callous disregard of myself or others!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
JRN
Coach

Post by Coach »

I think you ought to have a friendly conversation with said kiter directly.
Randy

Traffic

Post by Randy »

Great post Jim. It's critical to stay out of each other's way when there's so many forms of recreation. It did seem that most kiters were south of the main activity, deliberately staying away from heavy traffic areas.

My experience shows it takes time for surfers and kayakers to get to know one another. Last year there were two surfers who never smiled at me, never waved back and generally seemed angry that I might steal their ride. Maybe there was a time where I passed downwind of them just as they were ready to catch a big one? I don't know, but I continued to smile and made a deliberate effort to give them lots of space whenever in their vicinity. Sunday, they both waved, gave me great smiles and recognized our brotherhood in sharing an epic day together.

No doubt, there will be times when we unintentionally get in the way of one another, potentially creating a danger. An explanation to the offended party seems appropriate. Mistakes happen. When we deliberately cause someone to alter course, it's just not Minnesotan.

I've been to a lot of beaches where rider ego throws spectator and other ride vehicle safety to the wind. I have to say I've always been impressed with the way riders have behaved on Superior and suspect it's why we've had no regulation.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

The local Duluth kiters told me that they have voluntary moved the kite launch down the beach to 21st Ave. to avoid any problems- similar to what we have done at WBL with Rutherford Park. Had I known that, I would have launched from 21st on Sunday. Moving down there makes sense to me the next time we head north. As I recall, there is a fair amount of parking and the beach is wide open.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Where is 21st? Is that down from Tot Lot?
Randy

Kite Launch

Post by Randy »

I'd agree. As I said, I really hate rigging in wind. The 21st street is further down the road from Tot Lot, by the fire station. It allows inflating the kite in the lee of the dune. The political move to limit access at Tot Lot now makes this impossible for a kite and extremely difficult with a windsurf rig. Amazing...just a couple solid activists made that all happen and I'm still haunted by my lack of participation in objecting to it.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
ollie

Post by ollie »

Hey Guys
Great to see lots of kiters up over the weekend!
Thanks for the concern Jim & crew.
Yes, us locals are trying to avoid Tot Lot for all of the reasons mentioned
so come on down to 22nd st. next time. I think it's 22nd. and not 21st, just turn left at the little white fire hall anyway. That way we won't have to walk all the way over to say "hey" ! Also there's a sweet shallow area just to the nw. to help you get out through the break and a little room behind the dune to pump up. Again THANKS for helping keep the ridin hassle free!

Bryan & Bev.
ice_kmauve

Post by ice_kmauve »

I guess after driving 2.5 hours to get to duluth to enjoy the awesome surf, can't very well argue that driving another 2.5 minutes is too much.

Will try to move past Tot in the future.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
champlin

Post by champlin »

Anyone going up this weekend, how is the weather shaping up?
North Regional Rider.
Ride til it hurts!!!!
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

:oops:
Jon Stroh