Colorado kiteboarding in the Summer?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

avery

Colorado kiteboarding in the Summer?

Post by avery »

I will be heading out in the next week for a Mountain Bike trip, and just wondering if I should bring my kite gear?
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

I am in CO about 1 to 2 times a week and haven't found any good places to ride in the summer. I know that Anton at Colorado Kiteforce closes down for the summer so I assume that there are very few places to ride. If I were you leave your kite gear and enjoy all of the MTB trails! They are awesome!!
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Have fun mtn biking out there!!
Mike N
Coach

Post by Coach »

I used to live in Gunnison, but that is way back up in the hills. Sometimes Blue Mesa Reservoir, west of town, can get some great thermal action in the summer, especially August. However, it depends where you are going to be at - It is 3-4 hours from Denver, west-southwest over the continental divide.

-Mark
steveb

Post by steveb »

We used to go to Lake McConaughy In Ogallala. 3 hours from Denver. Great lake.
Pretty crappy near the city, just the reserviors and the winds gusty. Lake Dillons OK but I don't have a clue what kite lauching would be like.
Regional Ozone Team rider