Big Green

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

chanrider

Big Green

Post by chanrider »

Went to wife’s family reunion Saturday just south of Willmar on my birthday with the condish I could take some gear. So-so rainy ESE at Green had me strapping light air windsurf accessories on top of the truckster which was a decent call. Rush Brown ramp on the NW side is not kite friendly with a steep drop and docks. The bay for westerly breezes looked much better for kites (county park on the NE corner).

Very nice lake, bigger than the Wack and very quiet when it’s raining. Nice 7.5 poleboard sesh from around noon ‘til 3. Underpowered to begin with and gettin’ an ass whoopin’ when I called it quits. Overall, quite pleasant with water warmer than air and friendly locals including the Kandyiohi County sheriff who was just about the only other boat on the lake.

http://www.lakawa.com/lakawaphoto/albums.php?show=126
Mark F
champlin

Post by champlin »

Looks like an awesome lake, we should all converge on that place one day and put some major color in the air!
North Regional Rider.
Ride til it hurts!!!!
anne of willmar

Post by anne of willmar »

duh
sail51

Annie of Willmar

Post by sail51 »

Your allway's to the point Lady!!!!
But maby You'll Get to show your lake off to me in September.....
I'll be working at Olivia Min. For most of a week, in September......
Hope to Have time to Look you up...... Maby even Go sailing if the weather Cooperate's......
Keep in Touch.......
Low Boom Larry............
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

hey
I was wondering, I went to that launch early this spring, wind was right no one but me there. rigged up walked out up to my chest/chin my toes where just hanging on. I was not able to get far enough away from shore to self launch. If I rember right it was a combo of dock, tree and to deep? I drove around the lake and found a nice beach(s) on the NE side but the wind wasnt right that day/ way. Is the launch in the pics more of a windsurfing launch? or was the water just high early spring? wondering about the other launches
Rick
dave t

Post by dave t »

The north side launch from those pictures is probably the worst possible kite launch on the lake. I don't like it that much even for windsurfing.

The sheriff's launch on the NW corner should be a bit better launching in the same winds but there is virtually no parking or rigging area. Two or three cars max. The water and sand there are the best though. Chest deep and mostly rock free a long way out but you need it because there is a dock right next door.