Windsurfing Gadgets

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Piotr

Windsurfing Gadgets

Post by Piotr »

Inspired by my previous topic, that resulted in me starting using the EZ-uphaul, I decided to open discussion on other useful windsurfing gadgets beyond the basic setup. What are the other useful gadgets that are indeed useful, and are not just unnecessary blows and whistles?

An example would be the Chinook Waterstarter (http://www.the-house.com/ch610wzzchinook.html). Is anybody using it? What is your experience? Is it really useful? Is it worth the money, or would the money be used better spent on something else?

Any other gadget-related comments?

Piotr
johntr

Post by johntr »

Fun topic. I haven't seen the Waterstarter before. I find the clew sinking a *big* issue on big sails (9.5 or 10.5), when waterstarting. I have to be very conscious to swim towards the wind while popping them out of the water, or the clew won't come out. With smaller sails this isn't as big of an issue, because once the wind gets under the mast, it pops the sail right out of the water.

My favorite gadget is the little aluminum "brass knuckles" for downhauling. Clever design, easy to use, and the only way I can downhaul the big modern sails.

I also own a Chinook downhaul crank, which works nicely for the ladies in my family. It makes it possible to downhaul with little strength required. I find the "brass knuckles" easier to use, though.

John