WBL Last night

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

WBL Last night

Post by Tighe »

Scott and I headed up to WBL last night to hear Randy and Ride rock the house at Washington Square. I am so impressed at Randy's talents. He's the Ruben Lenten of music for me. It's been a long time since I've seen a band so able to energize me and the whole bar. Incredible energy, vibrance, and rhythm. Thanks Randy.

As we're leaving WBL I get pulled over by WBL's finest. Wasn't speeding, just driving as casually as I usually do, in a VW van with too many stickers on it, and he was convinced I was drunk. He frisked me, had me follow a cute little light back and forth, stand on one leg (smoked that one... after years of board riding my balance is pretty good), had me walk the line, then after the entire WBL police force had showed up and assumed strategic positions around me had me take the breathalizer test (please tell me they clean those nozzles between tests). First time he said I didn't blow hard enough, the second time he said it must not be taking a reading accurately, then finally he was able to get a .01 out of it.

Now this whole time I'm pretty nervous. I know they've lowered the limits and I had 2 beers over about 3 hours, but I had no idea what consitutes "drunk" So when he showed me .01 I had no idea if I had passed or not. He told me that .08 is the legal limit. Personally I would have failed me for not being able to hold back a bit of flatulance during the breathalizer, but I figured the look of embarassment on my face when I knew the women police officer next to me heard it was enough punishment.

Having a daughter who will someday be on the road, and knowing there are so many innocent people killed each year by drunk drivers, I really don't mind the whole experience. They were not disrespectful, they were doing their job. I am glad that they are that thorough. It was just a pretty nerve racking experience for me. I felt almost naked there with all the squad cars lights flashing, all the little flashlights, the voices coming over the radios, with background checks on Scott and I, and the very formal body language that the officers have been trained to assume.

Anyway after the breathalizer test, they gave me my license back and sent us on our way.

Definitely a night to remember.
Tighe
drknap

Post by drknap »

Tighe that is harsh!

Did you give them your business card and a sticker?
Kurt
Coach

Post by Coach »

Dude - what was the reasoning behind pulling you over in the first place? Semaphore violation?
Last edited by Coach on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travii

Post by Travii »

Glad to hear you weren't over the limit. It's sometimes nice to see the system at work. Some people might get ticked off just for getting pulled over when they feel they are innocent. I hope that if they're checking that many people, they will catch the guy who would have gone out and killed some other drivers. I have a wife, a 2 year old, and a 2 week old, and we drive a ford focus. I know what would happen if a drunk driver in an SUV were to hit us.

Travis
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Were off the kiting topic a bit but while were at it ................

You're much more likely to be hit by a Mom with 2 screaming kids while she's jabbering on a cellphone. And then she would get off with a misdemeanor even if you were all killed. The government and the focus is way out of place.

I'm not advocating really drunk driving but at .08 or even .10 I can drive better than someone with their shoulder and cellphone to their ear. For that matter probably better than 50% of the drivers out there.

I got lucky about a month ago when I got pulled over at 2am. I told them I had two beers in two hours which I did and I forgot about the two waters while nervous. They let me go with a night watch info. card and no walk the line routine. It was very windy and I was really really tired which makes me no better than the cellphone drivers.
ENJOY :) ........... Bill
Randy

Ouch!

Post by Randy »

So honored that you, Scott, Mike and Steve made the drive. It definitely gave the band more juice seeing riders in the Ride house. It seems that boardsport riding appeals so much because we can more easily touch that "here, now". Dealing with relationships, especially with the police, challenges us to a whole other level.
A couple years ago Davin, Jane and I did a meditation retreat with several members of the Madison, WI, police force. I think I've been pulled over about four times since then. I used to fill with fear, caught in my head with defense and strategy. I used to generalize about them. After hearing their stories, seeing the tremendous risks they take each day, I simply meet them 'here, now' in compassion for their courage to enter the unknown.
Your account beautifully speaks to those feelings of intimidation, defense, humiliation...all the stuff that goes with being under the power of someone who can dramatically change the course of your life. And then, you touch 'here,now', 'I, Thou', and what do you know? you're on your way.
I'm not saying this is a strategy. I don't expect it to work everytime, but I can say I still haven't received a ticket after those four pull overs.

That aside, tell us more about your upcoming crossing. I didn't realize it was so soon. This is very huge adventure and I think the community would really like to hear more about your planning, exit strategies, backup plans, training, equipment, partner vows, wind condition minimums and maximums, media, etc. It's definitely one of the more ambitious undertakings I've heard of lately.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
steveb

Post by steveb »

I'm sure they thought you were illegally transporting contraband ( slingshot kites) accross county borders.
I'm glad you were not pushing the drinks per session limit. Whatever you do don't assume 2 beers will give you a 0.1 again just because it has done it once, it varies based on how tired you are, how much foods in your system, if you just had a beer the alcohol still in your saliva will tip it much higher. I'm sure they asked when your last drink was, if it's like the old systems they have to wait at least 20 minutes after your last beer.
Cops are just people doing their job, there are exceptions but typically they're just doing their job getting through the shift, no need to be concerned, unless your over the limit.
Regional Ozone Team rider
johntr

Post by johntr »

WildBill is right about the person on the cell phone being nearly as bad as a drunk driver. One of my friends is an HCI researcher who recently participated in a study that came to exactly that conclusion: having a serious conversation on a cell phone while driving makes a person as likely to get in an accident as driving drunk.

I think WildBill draws the wrong conclusion, though: your chance of being involved in an accident are far higher if you have a blood alcohol above the limit. Just because cell phones make you a terrible driver too, doesn't mean the booze is safe!

I haven't seen data on this, but I'm betting that, ironically, there's a negative correlation with how good a driver you think you are. That is, I hypothesize that the less you think booze affects you, the more likely you are to get in an accident. Would be a cool study.

John
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I was not in any way pissed that they pulled me over, just rather nervous during the whole ordeal. I too would prefer that they pulled over anyone they even had an incling was drunk than to miss those that are. And as I said they were not disrespectful.

I am a very casual driver. I don't always use my signals and I don't believe in straight lines, hence the suspect that I was intoxicated.

I didn't mean my post as a criticism of the WBL police force but rather just to share my rather interesting experience. They did exactly what I would hope they would do if they saw a suspected drunk driver.

Randy, I'll post the details of our trip in another post.
Tighe
Travii

Post by Travii »

You feel that you are a better driver when you have a few drinks in you. That sounds just like the liquid courage I know. My experience, however, ended in a double rollover. Thankfully, I was the only one involved.
Woodette

Post by Woodette »

Tighe, I know exactly how you’ve felt.
Last year when Brad was out of town traveling to the National’s with our FJ, I had no other choice then borrowing an old suburban one night from a friend who just before that had a few “disagreements” with our local police.
Of course it never fails, there comes the flashing lights, (probably recognized the license plate :?) and I get pulled over.The drivers door also the window would not open when the officer asked me with his flashlight shining in my face to roll down the window. I had to crawl out the passenger door, which did not help the situation at all and the very nervous state I was in by then. After that the officer asked, if I was drinking and I said, absolutely not, when his flashlight discovered 10 empty boxes from the Liquor store in the back. I so was convinced and scared I’m going to spend the night at the police station. Even you are innocent, you’re just so worried to get in trouble. But completely to my surprise instead he smiled at me and wished me a safe trip home.
Those Canadians are just so polite, or the “accent” :wink: came in handy.
Maybe you should try a faked accent next time and see what happens.

Woodette :lol: