Ramsey -- problem child

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

ice_kmauve

Ramsey -- problem child

Post by ice_kmauve »

We all love the Ramsey beach access point on White Bear Lake.

But now it is crowded. When the temp hits 80 or so, the party people hit that public beach like it was a red-headed stepchild.

Avery suggested that we ban ourselves from that launch for the balmy summer months, maybe June - Aug. I agree with him. If you check that scene, you must agree that it's more dangerous than Calhoun, Nokomis and Harriet put together. We're launching upwind of a beach full of swimmers, completely unaware of kitemares. People routinely use the launch area to play with kids, dock boats, dock more boats. They do everything but gall darn barbecue in the water. I had to explicitly tell a little girl to not approach my lines while I was landing.

It all seems harmless until a line breaks, a lull forces your kite down during launch or landing, or any of a hundred other weird, unforeseen catastrophes.

I humbly suggest that the party move to Rutherford Park. This is an access point on the North end of the lake -- a huge wide beach, walkable maybe 300 feet out, will work on any direction from East to West with any south in it whatsoever. For North winds, we can use Turtle, Medicine, Wac, etc, even the St. Croix Beach. There is a small but usable rigging area, and the beach is large enough to accommodate some extra overflow.

You can't see the park on a map or on Google, but here's the approximate spot. Note, you must drop your gear, and then park your car on a nearby side street. http://www.google.com/maps?q=White+Bear ... iwloc=addr

Yesterday most kiters had started at Rutherford and Avery even deflated his kite so he could go over and launch from there.

For those of us who knew it was the right spot and just needed a little suggestion, this is our chance.

See you there.

by the way, yesterday was absolutely delicious. Just enough to keep a big kite nicely powered. But don't bother with 19m bow kites. They're just too darn big.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

David you have wisdom beyond your years. Your suggestion comes from a concern for others safety, which should always be the most important reason....and if there is one injury of an innocent bystander most likely the entire lake will be closed to kiters. I'm glad there is another option on the lake for you guys.
Tighe
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Good idea, as a beginner I found launching at Rutherford yesterday was far less stressful than Ramsey, even without swimmers. Rutherford has a large shallow beach, no swimmers, and no concrete wall. Nice find Dave, without it my kiting from Ramsey would have definitely been over for the summer, unless it was raining.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

I went over to Ramsey late Sunday night and it was still a zoo. So I stopped off at Rutherford. Have to agree - it's a good spot. Not as nice for laying out your lines but the locals only feel to it is perfect. Too bad we don't have an "IN" with the aristocrats on Manitou Island, eh?
johnbaker17

Post by johnbaker17 »

I've added the spot to my google map where I've got all the known launch spots on the Bear. However, I seem to remember seeing the beach and thinking it'd be great if it weren't closed to the public. I could be making this up but is there a sign saying something about restricting use to residents or association members or something like that? I could be way off. Maybe I'll drive by later.
John Baker

Link to my google map: http://www.google.com/maps/ms?q=White+B ... 39911&z=15
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

John - there are private beaches on both to the East and West of Rutherford. Look for the sign that says Rutherford Beach and you're set.
johnbaker17

Post by johnbaker17 »

Ah, that explains the detached unlabeled gray areas on Ramsey County's map of parks pdf. Excellent!!!
avery

Re: Ramsey -- problem child

Post by avery »

ice_kmauve wrote:
June - Aug. If you check that scene, you must agree that it's more dangerous than Calhoun, Nokomis and Harriet put together. We're launching upwind of a beach full of swimmers, completely unaware of kitemares. People routinely use the launch area to play with kids, dock boats, dock more boats. They do everything but gall darn barbecue in the water.
I'm with Dave on this one. it's only a matter of time before something happens.

I'll be over At Rutherford June July August.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Dave, I completely agree. Launching upwind of the swimmers at Ramsey is a really bad habit that we all have to kick. Rutherford park seems like a nice patch. Some trees, but still a nice spot. Great find. I'll have to check it out next time out. Avery, thanks for the pix.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Nice find, Dave! I will join in on the voluntary ban. I plan to check it out this afternoon.

By the way, Troy beach on the WI side of the St. Croix looks very good for S or S/SW, maybe even SW. Dave Z. mentioned it to me a while back. Very nice huge sandy beach. Probably crowded on weekends with boats, and a $5 parking fee, but a nice option for E siders, especially during the week.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Hey Mike ...where ya been? Greece?

Troy Beach would be good but if I remember correctly Coach tried to launch there a few years back and was told no way. Same for windsurfers - no dice. I've always thought about parking under the I94 bridge in Hudson - swimming me and my stuff over to that little island South of the exit ramp and launching from there!
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Bummer, Dave. Yes, that little island would be perfect. I have thought about making the swim too. :lol:

Yes, I just got back from Greece. I went for a conference, but spent a few days on Naxos, which is 4 hours by ferry from Athens. I scored wind every day I was there. The most beautiful, clear water I have ever seen-- quite a bit clearer than Hawaii. Too bad it so darn far away.
drknap

Post by drknap »

Bellaire will be equally as difficult for kiting. The swimming area is much bigger and wider this year. To the east there are swimming lines that extends to within 50 feet or so of a private dock. The big bouys are out futher as well. There is about a 100 feet of launch area to the west of the swim area but that means you'd be launching directly up wind of the swim area on the typical NW day at bellaire. No good! You could still do E and NE winds there. Bummer.
Kurt
Anna D

Post by Anna D »

Mike,
I would love to hear more about your trip to Greece. Eric P and I are still trying to decide on a honeymoon destination and Greece is up for discussion. We'd be heading out in early August. If you have time to do a write up in the "Destinations" section or just drop us an email, that would be great! :D
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Anna, you or Eric ccan give me a call. Probably the best way to get details. 651-695-0624