new dude

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

aransavage

new dude

Post by aransavage »

Hey I'm new to windsurfing and I've been told to go with the Bic Nova. I know that the Starboard Go is also good for beginners, but I'm worried that I may end up trading them in for something else in a year of two, should I worry about this? Or are there other boards out there that may be a bit more difficult to get started on, but better in the long run? Thanks for the help!
Dave Schneider

Post by Dave Schneider »

Hey New Dude,

Don't be incredibly concerned with having to trade up in a couple of years - it's the right thing to do. Buy a used Starboard Start and you'll be sailing your first time out. With a more intermediate type board, you'll struggle needlessly for the first year or two. The Start is so stable that learning on it is a breeze (pun intended) and the soft EVA deck is oh so nice on your knees when climbing on over and over again. Learnign to waterstart and do jibes and other maneuvers is so much easier on the forgiving Start, too.

Once you're ready for that intermediate board, you may have kids or a girlfriend (or boyfriend, I guess) or wife, or neighbor/friend who wants to learn and it'll keep giving and giving.

I bought a used Start for the wife/kids last year for $400. New ones are only about $650 or so at the House. You'll not regret it and resale, should you go that route, will be a snap.
Dave Schneider
aver0031

Re: new dude

Post by aver0031 »

you might want to take a look at Star-board Go. Almost as forgiving as Start (depends on your weight) but a lot more future potential. However, Go is more expensive than Start (about $1000).

Also, in a future if you put a bigger fin on a Start you can use very well when your skills improve.
Overall, Start, Go or Nova are all excellent choices with some minor differences.
Rich v

Post by Rich v »

Are you looking at buying new or used? If considering used, check out my classified ad which includes a Starboard GO 200. The 200 is 90cm wide - not quite as stable as the Start, but almost. It's also easily 10 pounds lighter and more maneuverable. Contact me if interested.

Rich
Jeff A

Post by Jeff A »

If you are looking for the board to progress with you, choose the Start over the Bic Nova because of the fin box. The Start has a "Deep Tuttle", which is what all the top race boards have. The first thing you will progress to is a bigger sail, then bigger and bigger fin. The Start is designed to handle large fins, the Nova, IMHO, is not.
My 2 cents.
Jeff A.
aransavage

new dude again

Post by aransavage »

Thanks for all your help, I'll go with the Starboard GO! One more newbie question: I've done a lot of sailing and know the basics on the water so should I skip taking a lesson and just go for it? (If you see some dude cursing his Starboard Go on Calhoun this summer, you'll have your answer) Thanks again!
Jeff A

Post by Jeff A »

If you feel you need a lesson, catch up with me when the water is soft again :roll:. (Actually, there is plenty to do on the ice and snow to improve your water skills :D.) Im a certified windsurfing instructor, I'm sure I can help you.
Jeff Adamski
(763) 441-1521 8)
Dave Schneider

Post by Dave Schneider »

When at the beach, grab most anyone who looks like they are a competent sailor and they will most likely give you some pointers, from rigging to water starting to gibing.

One more point to consider. Calhoun is a very tough lake to learn on, with all the wind shadows, concrete shorelines that bounce back the waves, weeds, and generally gusty conditions. If you can, make it up to WBL or out to Waconia for much steadier winds and an overall better learning environment.
Dave Schneider
aver0031

Post by aver0031 »

Hey New Dude,
Even though you've done some sailing, windsurfing is sligtly different. A lesson or two with Jeff A. will help you get started much faster. In addition he will let you try different equipment, so you can start on his boards and then figure out what you should get (Start, Go, or Nova). I know that Jeff help me a lot to get started last summer.