Oronoco....Shady Lake

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Gust User

Oronoco....Shady Lake

Post by Gust User »

Anyone know anything about it? This is one of the places I am looking at moving to in the next couple months. Shady Lake Kiteable?? Also looking at south Lake City. Found a great house!!!
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I used to live in Rochester and actually waterskied on lake shady. It's very shallow with only a deeper channel down the middle. It is a bit lower than hwy 52 and otherwise surrounded by trees so I wouldn't think the wind would be very good for wind sports. Lake city would be the way to go for windsports at least on some directions. Pete in Lake City (Whom is a Rochester native) might know more. Good Luck!
ENJOY :) ........... Bill
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

I live near Shady Lake and it is extremely shallow, most of the year there are exposed sandbars in several spots. They just took down a bunch of
trees on the west side for the highway 52 expansion but it still is very sheltered, pretty much unusable in general for kiting or windsurfing.
Lake City is definately where its at down here. Good luck!
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

??? sandbars and shallow water... sounds like a great kiting lake... how much fetch is there for the wind

Jon
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Its small. It makes Calhoun look like MilleLacs.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I would suggest Lake City. It is excellent to live next to Lake Pepin. Everything said so far about Shady Lake is true, although I suspect Bill waterskied there years ago as it is super shallow now. I don't think a wind junkie would be happy there.

Not much liquid kite action taking place on Pepin now (I'm a windsurfer and snowkiter) I do know of a great launch though and maybe you can be the one to break it in. As for winter kiting, I see you snowboard. There is really sweet rolling farm land to kite on in the winter just outside of town. Hope your move works out.

Pete
JanMarie

Post by JanMarie »

Hi Gust User
I live on Cedar Beach, which is very near Lake Shady. I would love to have someone to kite with and try new places. Mostly because I am so bad at it! Embarassed I live on the main fork of the Zumbro, just after the fork from Lake Shady comes in. One of these windy days I'm going to try a body dragging downwind (the only kind of actual travel I can do besides accidental lofts) and then walk back on the road to my house. My husband says he'll ride in the canoe after helping me launch. There is a sandbar underwater out there, but at the moment no place to rig so haven't figured that out yet. Between my house on the hill and the sandbar, there is a lot of marsh and knee-deep mud which is rather sub-optimal, and I expect the knee-deep mud is completely covering Lake Shady.
Mark H. is a Rochesterite who knows a couple good places in the area to kite-baord. I like to go Clearwater IA about 1 hour from here.
Let me know if you move here. It is a fine place to live. djmmunz@pitel.n(e)t
Jan-Marie
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Gust, Cannon Lake is less than an hour from the area you're looking to move. Any south wind there offers great sideshore kiting. If you head this way let me know and I'll show you the launch/landing drill. Good luck house hunting.

Bill