Where to go in Northern IL

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

akmonroe

Where to go in Northern IL

Post by akmonroe »

Hey all,

I am trapped in Northern Illinios for a few weeks. Does anyone know a good lake to windsurf on in the Rockford area?

Thanks,

Alex
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Head to Kosh. It will be great today.

Casey

Lake Koshkonong
Lake Koshkonong is approximately 30 minutes south of Madison and 30 minutes North of Rockford, IL - Best winds are W, SW, NW or NE but it works on any winds really as long as you go to the right launch so the winds are on-shore.
Winter ICE Depth Chart

North Launch Public Boat Ramp (SSW-S-SE) - this launch is narrow and can only support 3 kiters unless you are all very organized. Park at the top of the hill and to the side. You must do a water launch at this location. Usually windy days there are not many boats on this lake.
Directions: Exit I90/39 at exit 160 and head North (left or right depending on where you're coming from). Go up about 1/2 mile to a mile and make a right at Hwy 106. This is right at the top of the first rise in the road. Head East on 106 for about 5-10 minutes (2-3 miles) until you reach County A. Make a right (heading South). Go to the end of the road where there are a few houses lines up on the shore. Go right and drive about 200 feet to a small, narrow boat ramp. Park at the top of the boat ramp and run your kitelines down the ramp toward the water with the kite at the water's edge. Do a water re-launch or have a friend do an assisted launch for you in the water, which is only 3 feet deep several hundred feet out.

North Launch at Norms Bar (SE-E-NE) - this launch is next to Norms Bar. Shallow like the others, so rig up, be clean (wrap up lines) and go out to launch and ride. New Glarus Spotted Cow on tap at the bar. Usually windy days there are not many boats on this lake. They don't take credit cards, bring cash.
Directions: Same as above, but after you turn down County A watch for Norms Bar, make a left, and park there. On weekends and nice days the launch may be packed with boats coming and going.

South Launch (NW-N-NNE) - decent parking area, but may get crowded during summer with boat traffic. Usually windy days there are not many boats on this lake.
Directions: Exit I90/39 at exit 163 and head East on Rte 59. Go to Charlie's Bluff Road and make a left. Head North about a mile or two to the open grassy area to set up the kites. Do an assisted launch from the water, which is shallow a few hundred feet out, or a solo water re-launch.

East Launch at Vinnie Ha Ha (SW-W-NW) - narrow launch rig area. Park at the furthest area away from the water. There is a parking area behind the trees past the road to leave. Be sure to hit the Owls Club on the way out on 26 at the flashing light. Owls Club is on the East side of the road. Fish Fry on Fridays is great with live music and of course, the Spotted Cow. They don't take credit cards, bring cash.
Directions: Exit I90/39 at exit 163 and head East on Rte 59. After a couple of miles look for the University of Whitewater turn at County Road N and turn left. Go to Hwy 26 and head North. Turn Left on Koshkonong Lake Road and a quick right on to OLD WI26. Turn left on Koshkonong Mounds Road. Turn right on Vinnie Ha Ha Road. Go to the end and park in the boat landing parking on the right. Do an assisted launch from the water, which is shallow a few hundred yards out, or a solo water re-launch.

From
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/
akmonroe

Post by akmonroe »

Thanks,

I actually windsurf right now. I do not have the funds yet to learn to kite that will have to wait for a year or so. If we get a few good days I will try to get out there.

Has anyone tried the lake in Rock Cut State Park? It looks like it doable in everything that is not out of the south.

Alex