help me pick a new board

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

duckjibe

help me pick a new board

Post by duckjibe »

Hello everyone. I'm replacing my old gear and I'm having difficulty choosing a new 'big' light air board. I'm coming from a Pacific Lightwind 280 150L. I have two boards in mind for replacement but can't decide. #1 is a JP X-Cite Ride 150L, and #2 is an RRD ZRide 135L. Both are the same price ~ $30.

Should I try to get away with a smaller board and have more fun on the days that aren't big enough to drop down to my JP SuperX 106L or go the cautious route with another 150L? The sail I'll run on the big board is an 8.0. I weigh about 175-180. I've been sailing for about 16 years and feel that I'm pretty effecient at planing etc... On one hand I want the smaller 'exciting' board, but on the other hand I want the bigger one to give me that get up and go on the puffy days.

Is there really much difference between 135L and 150L ?

Thanks in advance.
Diego

Post by Diego »

I'd go with the smaller board. 130ish and 8.0 should work just fine. Last year I sold my 140L and got a 114L. My biggest sail is a 7.5 and it works great with the 114L in ~12 and up knots (not fun in sub-planning conditions thou) my weight is also 175-180.

just my 2 cents

Diego
barryb

Post by barryb »

I would also go with the smaller board. For your size and skill level I think the 150L board is kind of big. I'm 6'0" 180-185 lbs and have been windsurfing for about 16 years. I just don't feel a need to go bigger than 130-140L.

My biggest rig is a 2004 JP X-Cite Ride 135L with a 2005 Sailworks Retro 8.0 - works great - big wind range. I've also have a 2005 6.5 Retro I've used with this board - also works fine. If you want more low end grunt on light days with a 130-140L board, rig up a Neil Pryde V8 (8.0-9.0) - nice sails for MN. I've found V8's to have more power than the Retro, but not as quite as easy handling or as rugged as the Retro.

Also - I would recommend a good weed fin like a True Ames Blade Weed. I don't see how people sail without them - seems like I'm hooking weeds all the time with normal fins...

FYI - the only other gear I have is a 2004 Starboard Carve 111 DRAM (100-105L would probably suite me better) and a Naish Nalu 5.0. these 2 boards and 3 sails work for me 95% of the time. I'm usually on Waconia. Independence, Medicine, George, White Bear.....

Hope this helps...
esteffen

Post by esteffen »

I think that both boards are going to be about the same in terms of planing, speed, etc. in spite of the volume differences because they are both about the same width (~76cm). So even though the JP has more volume it probably won't plane any faster than the RRD.

An 8-0 should work fine on the RRD- I put a 7.2 on my z-ride 105 and it works well when I am powered, schlogging is another story. I wold go with the one you like the graphics on the best...

Eric
JRN

Ducky

Post by JRN »

Smaller boards are DUCKY, Duck J! Sold my big stuff 2 yrs. ago & haven't missed it. Got a 125 ltr. Bic Blast from the House. Ride sails up to an 8.5 North Warp with no problem & I'm 205+ lbs! Kept my short board for when its NUKIN", but it hasn't done that alot lately. :cry: JN
esteffen

Post by esteffen »

Apparently I can't read the board charts very well. The z-ride is a little narrower than the JP (72cm vs 76cm). I don't think that you would lose too much in planing except on the extreme low end. You would proabaly only notice the difference if you were using a larger sail like a 9-0.
duckjibe

Post by duckjibe »

Thanks everyone! I pulled the trigger on the 135L. Now all I need is some open water!