message board

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Hank

message board

Post by Hank »

I have noticed the new improved board (been a lurker) and I am wondering if you are using Ikonboard. I'm asking because I've been looking at implementing one for a ski club. Any information is appreciated. Right now I'm using a template in Frontpage and it's pretty basic. Is it difficult to do?
:?:
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

We were in the same boat with our previous Chat using Front Page. We are now using phpBB. Their site is http://www.phpbb.com. Don't know much about other options so hard for me to compare. Coach?

Good luck.
Tighe
Hank

Post by Hank »

Tighe,

Thanks I'll check it out, is it a no-brainer to get up and running?
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

It was for me, cause Coach did all the technical stuff. The configuring part of it, which I did is very easy. There are numerous styles or appearances you can download or create your own.

Contact Coach at Mark@blueearth.net for info on whether or not there is considerable work to host it.
Tighe
Hank

Post by Hank »

Thanks for the info...
Coach

no brainer...

Post by Coach »

Hank:

It's not a total no-brainer to set up. I run a small Internet development company, so I already had an environment I was working in. phpBB happened to fit right in.

phpBB will work for anyone who has access to an Apache server running the PHP scripting language. Apache and PHP run on Linux/Unix and Windows servers.

The software takes a decent amount of web and technical expertise to set up and tweak.

I believe Ikonboard is a paid service and most of the setup is handled for you, and may be the easiest way to go.

If you decide to go the technical (glutton-for-punishment) route and set up your own phpBB board, let me know. :-)

-Coach
Hank

Post by Hank »

Coach,

Hum, sounds like one of those "I need my own server deals"? I am just using an ISP to holst the club's site. All I know is they have installed Frontpage server extentions, because the site was created and is maintained using Frontpage. May have to check into Ikonboard instead? I do have a server at home, but well its been shut down for about 6 Months, $$$.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Yeah, it's pretty much a "got root?" type of deal... ("root" being the superuser account on Unix systems, FYI/JIC)

Frontpage is fine for simple things, I would recommend against it for a discussion forum. The boys at http://www.kitesnowboard.com/ use Ikonboard, and seem pretty pleased with it. There are a ton of services that offer discussion boards, and they all look about like this. :-)

-Mark
Hank

Post by Hank »

usa35,

Thanks for the feedback...

hank