advice on winter kites

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

npetrack

advice on winter kites

Post by npetrack »

I was wondering if anyone has advice on winter kites. I''m an avid windsurfer and telemark skier. I have B2 trainer kite that I have had out when its blowing 30-40mph but would like something for lighter winds. I know there are alot of options out there but I'm looking for something that is user friendly in the winter time for winds 10-20mph or higher(I'm not sure of the range of kites). I live up in northern Minnesota throughout the fall and early winter and relocate to the Idaho for the winter for bc skiing. This past weekend was windy with nice light snow on the ground up north and I'm looking for possibly a good used kite to get me started. I'm proficient in flying the B2 and I understand the dynamics behind the kite but I'm not experienced in winter kiting. I will only be using my telemark skis since I've sold the rest of my fleet. If any one has advice please let me know. I don't want to spend a ton of money yet I just want to get out and ride some wind. Thanks for your help. Northern Minnesota lakes are frozen and have about 4 inches of good light snow on them as we speak.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

what lakes are good up there?

if you don't want to spend alot of $$$ you will most likely have to get a inflatable. foils seem to never come down in price.
a good size for 10 -20 in a 16m but if there is deep powder you would need something bigger. I use a 21m for 5- 15 (maby up to 20 if there alot of snow) but I like ALOT of power

what kind of conditions will you be rideing in??

jon
Protege Menace

Post by Protege Menace »

wow, and here I thought I wouldnt ever use my 20m, and my 12m might be a little big even for me (weighing 225).

Guess I'll be set.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

I weigh from 180 - 200. My 19.5 gaastra was my most used kite in the last 1.5 years I used it sooo much that the canopy deteriated on me (looks like swiss cheese)
then I decided to go 2m bigger. I love BIG powerfull semi-truck sized kites. If I can find a 25 gaastra phenoix for a steal of a price I will pick it up

Jon
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

I'm mostly interested in riding powder since thats usually the case where I live. The foil kite you were talking about doesn't need to be inflated. I guess that is what I'm looking for. Minimum setup. I've been looking at a few websites and it seems like everybody likes different kinds of kites. I weigh 165 lbs and if anybody has a used foil let me know. It sounds like that is the way to go. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

foil (ram air) kite don't need to be inflated. since you are going to be in pow I would say a 12 Ozone would be the way to go. the frenzy is a great kite ( I know nothing about the new slingy foils or flysurfer)
but, for a used 12 frenzy (get an 04 or newer) you are looking at arround $600-$800 price tag. new would be somewhere arround $1200

jon
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

Thanks for the information. If you know anybody looking to sell one please let me know or something similar. So you think the 12 meter Ozone frenzy 04 or newer would be the ticket for riding those wind conditions(10-20 or slightly higher) It seems like those speeds are pretty much everyday where I'll be in the winter. Any other advice I would appreciate it. By the way will my windsurfing harness work or do I need to invest in something else. Also, do most kites come with the bar or is that sold separately?
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

What lakes would you recomend in Northern Minnesota? 4 inches on a frozen lake sounds great right about now !

Jon
Protege Menace

Post by Protege Menace »

oh man this sucks. got all my gear up in fargo, but I left my harness back in bloom.! :oops:
steveb

Post by steveb »

Have a look at the HQ montana, thats a competitive foil, I've never ridden one so I don't know how good they are but from what I've heard they fly well.Very similar to the Frenzy in systems and looks.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Welcome to the chat. Super envious you guys are on white stuff already.

Check out the SS Ranger in the photos in the Gallery, First Ice Session
Midwest Mountaineering has them for under $700 new. They also have the B5s which is one of my favorite of the B series. Faster in the sky so you can get some air if you like, but still super simple with only 3 lines. $399

Shoot Peter Noreen a line for a quote: pnoren@midwestmtn.com
Tighe
Micky

Post by Micky »

I started out with a Slingshot B-6 then switched to a Frenzy 7.5. I weigh the same as you. I would advise you to get a foil if you only want to kite on snow and ice and to get a 10 meter if older than 2 years, but a 12 meter if it is an 06 or 07.
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate all of the advice. As far as today for conditions we got about 2-3 inches of snow and its blowing 19-23 out of the nw as I write this. We have about 5 to 6 inches of really light cold smoke type snow on the ground and I've seen ice houses out on a few lakes. I checked one lake and there was four inches of ice on it already. I live up north of Duluth about an hour. We have quite a few spots we windsurf so I would imagine thats where I would try to kite. I walked out on a lake by our house and there is nice light powder 5 inches covering most lakes north of cotton anyhow. It seems like it would be perfect conditions since the snowmobiles haven't fired up yet.