Ice, Ice, baby Ice

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Ice, Ice, baby Ice

Post by Eric S »

Hey,

Jerry S and I took a look at a midsized lake just east of powder ridge (Kimball, MN) today after a hard day of jibing and bonking at Powder Ridge. I wasn't ready to kiteskate or kiteboard but we thought we'd check it out for sunday.

We went out on the ice and found that it was clear and 4 inches thick. We were very cautious at first but found that the ice was consistant. Jerry went home and got his ice sailing gear. I went home and got my skates ready for tomorrow.

Jerry and I will snowboard in the morning at Powder Ridge then, about noon, head to school section lake and play. I know this for sure, you can at least skate on it. I'm bringing my kites an hope to kiteskate.

come back to this forum around 7AM. We will post a message then. Look for Jerry's report on School Section Lake. He was going to take his FreeSkate out there.

later,
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

I had a fun solo time with my Freeskate. I have an extra one, but couldn't talk Eric in joining me. There was consistent 4" of black ice and I sailed with 4.5m. sail. There is a unique thrill in gliding over the smooth surface with just the sound of wind and a faint ticking of the blades scoring the ice.

You know, Life is Good when you're having fun.

Jerry
mjwinter

Sunday Session?

Post by mjwinter »

Where are you guys headed today? I might break out my skates for a session.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

We hit School Section Lake just north of Kimball, MN and east of Powder Ridge ski area.

Jerry was on his freeskate and Jeff and I were on kites. I used a 3.3M and Jeff used a 4.9M. It was alot of fun, Ice is good there and will get better this week hopfully.
steveb

Ice Thickness?

Post by steveb »

Jerry/ Eric. what thickness of ice do you want to see consistantly before you feel confident to play?
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

For me it's 4 inches of clear ice. School section had that all over last weekend. Might be six inches this weekend I would feel very comfortable on that.

Ice is never 'safe'. I always check it out and take at easy at first.
Barry P

City Lakes

Post by Barry P »

What's the word on ice thickness for city lakes? Has anyone been out to do some test holes or kiting around here? WBL, Calhoun, Forest, Waco, Medicine, Buffalo, Goose, Turtle... others?

:) :roll: :wink: :oops: :lol: Just had to try out more of this fun stuff. :D Well done, guys!
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Are the conditions at School Section Lake going to be acceptable for kiteskiing this weekend if the wind is up? The lakes in NW Iowa are still not in good shape to be out on. I'm considering a road trip.

Casey
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

There will probably be NO snow on them. But the ice like on School Section will be good. It's not that big of a lake but it's good from almost all wind condtions. We will be having fun sat and sun afternoon on it.

cp2616 wrote:Are the conditions at School Section Lake going to be acceptable for kiteskiing this weekend if the wind is up? The lakes in NW Iowa are still not in good shape to be out on. I'm considering a road trip.

Casey
bmr

re: BarryP and Medicine LK Conditions

Post by bmr »

Well, I'm looking out my window at ClubMed, west bay/park area and I see 3-4 fish houses and boot tracks down the middle of the bay; yep, about 1/8in of powder.

Be warned though, the main lake just recently froze, I wouldn't be surprised if the main body of water is less than an inch thick or even open in patches.

I usually wait atleast 1.5 - 2 weeks of consistent single-digit high temps before I venture too far from shore.

WHERE IS EL NINO WHEN YOU NEED HIM TO COVER THE FIELDS WITH SNOW TO PACIFY THE WINDBOARDERS???!!!

C ya,
Brad
Have kite, will travel.