Question to newbie kiters

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

steveb

Question to newbie kiters

Post by steveb »

A lot of you have learned in the last 18 months or so, I was wondering what your first impression was of all these wind geeks, and what has been your best moment or memory to date.

For me the best thing has been your stoke, the new faces and seeing old farts, people who have windsurfed for 20 years, like Dean, Randy, Bob, Dorian, Mike etc .etc , grinning like little kids totally fired up with the adrenaline of a new challenge.
ice_kmauve

good

Post by ice_kmauve »

I can't express my gratitude enough for all the "old wind surfers" turned kiters, and other experienced kiters who've helped me along, picked me up by the docks and otherwise made it possible for me to crack the nut we call kiteboarding. Steve I still think of you each time I'm on the water, attempting to jam my shoulders back and my "hips" out. It works, and it's not as easy as it sounds.

I don't want to start naming names because the list is too long and I fear leaving someone out. But suffice to say everyone has been there in a big way, made an activity that on the surface sounds impossible... possible. You've offered your time, gear, wisdom, and accommodations. So feel free to ask a newbie for whatever.

If you've benefited from the enthusiasm that we newbies bring, then that is a very small contribution to give back. However, I'm glad to hear that the risks and dangers presented by the inexperienced are somewhat counterbalanced by the stoke brought by the new blood.

I also know that each new kiter that comes along represents a risk that SOMETHING REALLY BAD will happen, and everybody will lose access or the innocent will be harmed.

Also, there's the issue of the sport just simply growing too much and everyone facing the prospect of a line-up at the water's edge. My take on that is, it's a technical sport and kind of hard, so I think we're safe. I've still yet to meet a person in daily life that even knows what it is at all (not a single one yet).

Also, it makes me feel optimistic knowing that guys in their 50's, 60's and later are still getting their groove on out there. as somebody starting in my thirties, it's just good to know. Anybody doing this as a teenager, or god forbid, a child, you're dang lucky!!

Thanks again to all.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Wind people are a little like a strange clan, most people don't get us.
The worse your obsession gets the more your friendships tend to be with wind people, your other buddies don't get the wind clause.You may have started to see this already.
The last couple of years has seen more new faces on the scene than any other period I can remember, for my part it's been a gas.Personally I've never worried about the dangers of the learners, I know when I was learning the Judds, Tighes and Mike W's where quick to get me out of trouble if I got into some, quick to explain how to avoid it again. Now there are more people to help, people like Tighe who know how to explain things better than anyone did in the beginning. I remember watching Tighe, Tehren, Joe,Coach, Vojta and Judd learn. These are the guys that locally figured it out when no one had a clue. I got to pick their brains on " how to's".Coach spent an hour and a half freezing his ass off in fall trying to get my fat ass up on a board.
I think most of this years "newbies" are not really beginners anymore, all of you I've seen are safe and ride your boards well, so next spring when you see new faces say "Hi" don't be shy about helping.
I was just interested to see what your best moments have been.
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

Bob Cook always welcomes newbies by saying, "welcome to the addiction". Hence, I think of myself as a wind junkie. Definitely addicted. Kiteboarding has the same level of stoke and addiction as surfing IMO. Don't know of anything else that can grab me like these.
G2 Kiteboarding
drknap

Post by drknap »

gbgreen59 wrote:Bob Cook always welcomes newbies by saying, "welcome to the addiction". Hence, I think of myself as a wind junkie. Definitely addicted. Kiteboarding has the same level of stoke and addiction as surfing IMO. Don't know of anything else that can grab me like these.
The article on addiction in the most recent kiteboarding magazine lays it out nicely. The finacial impact for me has been huge.
My purchases since last winter (less than 1 year time):
6 kites (now only using my 2 bows and soon to buy at least one more)
3 kiteboards
3 snowboards for kiting
2 wetsuits
1 dry suit (bare)
2 harnesses
1 impact vest
2 control bars
2 instructional videos
1 NSI kite bag
several miscellanous accessories (repair equiment, bladders etc)
couple of kites to airtime for fixing
kiteboarding mag subscription
countless hours surfing the net on kitesurfing
1 brand new starboard carve 121 at beginning of the year that I haven't used because I don't want to pass up an opportunity to kite
2 brand new sails that I haven't used
1 8x10 trailer to haul my windsurfing equipment that I'm not using since I'm only kiting lately
6 plane tickes for family to bring down to SPI so I can kite and not feel as guilty
tons of mileage and wear and tear on my van

I don't even want to know the total.
Kurt
Last edited by drknap on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Kurt..the total is peanuts in relation to the fun. Best investment you can make. Paying money for your own well being ,the return on each dollar you spend will far exceed any fund you put the money into.
chanrider

Post by chanrider »

Kurt:

I have used my Carve 121 before and after kite sessions and I LOVE it!

Just because you are "kiting," doesn't mean you shouldn't bring the 121... I think the muscles you use are different enough that I have not felt totally spent switching over and I am pretty weak and inefficient at both endeavors!

I have used the 121 only in 6.6-8.4 range so far, but think it would go down to 5.7 or even a little smaller?

Especially if you have a trailer :shock: ... just bring everything! I cram all my junk into an Explorer no problem (with a baby car seat to boot!).

Mark
darlene

Post by darlene »

You wind geeks are the nicest people I've ever met.

I look forward to life-long friendships with people who understand the addiction. I think we all have such a common bond.

Best memory to date....July 17th, Lake Washington, water is warm as bathwater, just me & Jerry......really riding my board good for the 1st time, realizing I can relax, lean back in my harness, & let the wind hold me up!!

All of the positive comments & encouragment I have received has been wonderful.

Some day when I'm good at this, I want to teach kiteboarding to girls ages 11-15.

Darlene 8)
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Thats a great goal Darlene, do it. I got into this a little before Steve's 18 month cut off, but I'll respond anyway. My greatest memory of kiting is inverably the last session I had. I've never had a session that I didn't remember fondly afterwords. It seems like your so into the ride when your out there it's hard to just relax and enjoy, but after the session, you reflect on the fun and stoke you felt, and you understand that there is nothing better.

It's great to see all the newbee's get out and try the water. If you are a newbee and you havn't had a chance to ride the snow yet, you are in for a real treat. There is no better way to really get your style and riding ability down than on the snow in Minnesota. Everything get easy, and soon you'll be leaning hard into the wind and flying across the lake. Most of the riders here really learned on the snow, and we are really impressed at you Newbee's trying to learn on the water here in Minnesota.

Oh, and I love you old windsurfer turned kiter types. You all have such great stories of the "Old Days" to keep us young guys egos in check. Keep riding and making your own stories.
Eric
steveb

Post by steveb »

My favourite moment was last November, Nancy had been kiting on snow but was learning on water, she had been doing great but was walking up the beach as she was not staying up wind yet.
It was our last day, Nancy had maybe 6 hours total water kiting time in, on the beach at the flats theres a bouy which is supposed to be the divider for the windsurfers and kiters. Nancy set off with the 16m in 12 knots of wind just down wind of the bouy, she went 1/2 a mile out, came back and she was upwind of the bouy. Her face registered a look of surprise and a small smile, she turned went back out came back to the same spot and her smile was bigger, this went on for an hour and a half, by this time I could see the smile on her face when she was 1/2 a mile away.She was staying up wind and the joy of the moment was very infectious.
My best moment was getting to see it and share it. ( while silently pissed that she learned to stay upwind far faster than I did)
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

After 2 years of frustrating launch attempts, unintended death spirals, fresh and salt water draining out of every where, finally one day last spring at the South Padre North flats Steve said "Dean you are a kiter" , Nancy and Mike smiled in agreement. That was after returning from my first upwind ride. I was elated. At that moment I didn't want to return to the beach , I wanted to ride and ride and ride all the way to Port Isabel!! The previous summer, I had sold all of my kiting gear and Mike Kellett kept talking me me back. "Never give up", "you can't quit' "that happens to every one", and in 20 mph ++ winds when I didn't want to go out, "Dean, the wind is your friend". In my case switching to bows made a huge difference; sheet in and out like in windsurfing. As with windsurfing there is sheer joy in flying across the water. Now I get a huge kick out of coming to the beach, seeing one or many riders out there and hearing the elated whoops. I can't wait to rig and get out there. I also look forward to the day when I can smile at a Newbie and say "you are a kiter".
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Steve and Dean, you stole my 2 favorite moments so far!!! Staying upwind myself for the first time....picture head thrown back giggling, lots of happy expletives like "F-in A,I'm doing it!"...because now I knew it was REALLY going to get fun! Also Dean's upwind epiphany. He was SO far upwind, we thought he was going to be the first kiter to have to do the walk of shame from upwind!!! :lol: