Clear Lake Closed?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

cp2616

Clear Lake Closed?

Post by cp2616 »

Hey folks,

I've recently relocated to Chicago and on there message board they claim Clear Lake, IA has been closed to kiteboarding.

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... php?t=2666

Any truth to this?

Casey
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

Wow. I have not heard this. I kite at Clear Lake more than any other place. I will call my friends this evening to see what is up.
G2 Kiteboarding
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

I just talked to my friend who kites regularly at Clear Lake. He said as of Sunday kiting was not banned. He was out kiting for a couple of hours on Sunday. Said he was out for several hours last Friday. Plus, he knows of no momentum to get kiting banned at Clear Lake. So, if kiting is banned at Clear Lake, it happened in the last 3 days, and he knows nothing about it.
G2 Kiteboarding
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

This is really strange. I just talked with the guy on the Chicago web site that started this. He claims he got his information from this forum. But, Cassey's post refers back to the thread on the Chicago forum. This does not sound "straight up".
G2 Kiteboarding
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Thanks for looking into that Gary.

Casey
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

Casey, do you know Klimber? Seems like he started this.
G2 Kiteboarding
Denis

Post by Denis »

[...]
Just a heads up the city beach on clear lake Iowa is now off limits. a proficient kiter had his kite fall out of the air onto a bussy beach... easy thing to have happen, but now from one incedient we are kicked out..
Klimber was probably refering to the above post. The whole thread is here:

http://www.lakawa.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5286

Denis
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

Thanks Denis. I had not read this thread. That clears it up.
G2 Kiteboarding
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Gary,

No I've been in NY the last month and just got to Chicago. I've not even had a chance to kiteboard yet, so I don't know anyone here. I was just checking out the message board and read about Clear Lake. I was quite suprized and horrified to read that about Clear Lake.

I know the riders here are very worried about loosing all access to Michigan in Chicago proper. They are constantly sharing stories of lost access to keep people in line. I live on a great beach out my front door and I can't kiteboard there.

The only beach left in Chicago where kiteboarding is allowed is Montrose. It is only a mile from me, but you have to be card carrying PASA level 2 rider to ride there. I have not had a chance to get checked out so I can't ride there yet. Hopefully this weekend the wind will be up near here.

Casey
Last edited by cp2616 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klimber

Post by klimber »

i apologize for frightening anyone....geez

i was just passing on info.....not making anything up

man....you had me sounding like a kook
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

Sorry to keep stepping in here. I just read the thread where Jon Stroh discussed the ban. I haven't been told that there is a ban at City Beach, but kiters should ban themselve from this beach during the swimming season anyway. There are plenty of other places to launch as Jon and I have discussed on this forum in the past. City Beach is way too small to accomodate kiters during the swimming season. I believe the two kiters that live there understand this also.

I am very happy to have all of this straight. I was really concerned about it, since Clear Lake is my primary weekend get away for kiting.

Live to kite...gbg
G2 Kiteboarding
DRA

Post by DRA »

How many Clear lakes are there in the five states? Might be a misprint.
Terry :?:
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

I double, triple, quadruple appologise back to you Klimber. Losing a primary place to kite just hit me like a freight train. I know you guys in the Chicago area have been faced with this and worked hard to keep your access to the beaches.
G2 Kiteboarding