2 mast pieces stuck together.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

jradtke4

2 mast pieces stuck together.

Post by jradtke4 »

How do I get two mast pieces apart? Must be sand in there. Tried tying off to a tree and pulling, tried heating. Still stuck. What else can I try?
Dopper

Post by Dopper »

Try clamping two booms on each side of the mast joint. Usually two guy's twisting in opposite directions (with the added leverage of the booms) can get them apart. When I rig I run a couple laps of electrical tape over the mast joint so sand doesn't get in there. I've never had a stuck mast since I started doing that. Good luck! Doug
DDD
JRN

Rubber Mallet

Post by JRN »

Smack it all the way around the joint which should crush the sand crystals without damaging your mast. I've also wrapped one end in a pad & clamped it in a bench vice, pad the jaws of a pipe wrench and twist the other end. Good luck!! :roll: Jim N.
jradtke4

Post by jradtke4 »

Two booms eh? That might be the ticket.
Randy

A social opportunity

Post by Randy »

Just as finding someone to zip your drysuit often leads to new relationships, I've come to know a lot of great people by enlisting their help in unsticking my two piece mast. Here's how it goes...first ask someone to turn the mast the opposite way you do. If it doesn't work, hunt down two more people. continue this process until it's unstuck. I've gone all the way up to twelve people.
Asking for help is one of the hardest things to do, but can be one of the most rewarding. This requires little from others, has no risk, and great return potential.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

Clamp two booms on the mast and put some dawn dish soap in the mast that'll do the trick
Craig Bergh

Mast Pieces Stuck Together...

Post by Craig Bergh »

Hello,

I had a similar situation with a mast stuck together.

Roger Jackson has really cool method involving a water pressure tool. You will not damage anything.

I encourage you to contact Roger at:

sailquik@mindspring.com

Let us know if you like his solution.

Craig Bergh
Worthington, MN