Kite size and wind speed question

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

tjlydonjr

Kite size and wind speed question

Post by tjlydonjr »

My name is TJ Lydon. I'm new to kiting this year. I have a question I hope you guys could help me out with.

I've been reading the forums for a little while now and I notice sometimes you talk about the wind being stronger higher up. I'm wondering if that happens every where and if so is there a general rule of thumb.

I have a 20m Yarga 5th line kite by BEST.
I'm 140 pounds and 5'5" tall.

What kind of wind do I need to go kiteboarding? I've been out in light breezes and the kite will not even get off the ground.

I thought I read somewhere that the kites wind range is 8 to 18 knots which I believe is like 5 to 12 mph. Would I be able to kite if the wind was only 6 mph?

Thanks,
TJ
tyson

Post by tyson »

hey tj-

im new to kiting this year too. i cant answer that completely, but i thought i'd throw in my 2 cents before the people who actually know what they're talking about reply.

first off, 8-18 knots = 9-20mph. buuut... you're small, and a 20m kite in 20mph winds = no good. after seeing other guys ride, i'd think the 20m kite might be a bit big for you.. it seems like if you had enough wind to get it in the air, you'd be overpowered-- or you'd have a real small windrange to use it in -- maybe just like 10mph - 14mph or something. less than 10mph in the summer seems really hard to do with relaunching because the water weighs the kite down too much to get back in the air.
tjlydonjr

Post by tjlydonjr »

Hey Tysonm,

Thanks for the reply. That was quick.

I did go out on the Lake Superior bay during the winter and the wind was not that strong but I did feel like the kite pulled ALOT. during some of the gusts and the kite was above me it would almost pull me off the ground. As the wind picked up a bit I felt I had to pack it up and go home for the day because it might get unsafe.

Is a smaller kite with more wind easier to control, give you a wider wind range, less vertical pull?

Sorry bout the questions but I bought the kite from Realkiteboarding and the people did not seem that helpful about sizes of kites and stuff. He said that I would be better of with the 20m because of the lighter average wind speed up here. Average is 12 mph.

What do you think I should invest in if I can trade the 20m for something or even just get a second kite?
alf

Post by alf »

TJ,
I also have a 20m best Yarga. I'd have to say it is the most used kite in my quiver. It is great for light winds, but 18knots will kill you.
I am 200lbs and 5'11". I can handle my 20 up to about 16mph then it gets way too strong. As a beginner, you may be a little overpowered with that kite, especially if the wind is not steady.

I have a few kites that I will be selling off if you are interested. It would be an inexpensive way to get your feet wet and a lot safer than taking that 20 out.
you can contact me at kcpic@pobox.com if you want more info.
Alfie
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Hey TJ - Welcome to the community.

I ride a 17 meter for my biggest kite and I weight 170 lb. I don't seam to have any problem riding when others are able to ride (other than Stroh). There are some disadvantages to really big kites, even in light winds. One is they are less efficient through the air. They have to have such a big leading edge for stability that they lose efficiency. Another disadvantage is the re-launch for someone your size.

I would have suggested a 13 meter "C" kite or a 12 meter bow for your first kite. A twenty seams a little much.

As for the wind above question, that only happens at very special times on big bodies of water. The water has to be cold and the air hot, with the sun beating down. This makes what we call a thermal effect up draft off the water, killing the wind close to the water and giving amazing power up high. This effect was really strong last weekend in the hot weather on Mille Laks lake, making for some of the best riding to be found anywhere. The only problem with that is relaunching your kite is a total pain in the butt. I was forced to swim in at least a half a mile because I crashed my kite and then had no power on the ground with which to relaunch.

Have fun out there, and be safe. If you havn't heard this already, my suggestion is to get a lesson and learn all this stuff in a controled environment, preferably Hatteras, NC or South Padre, TX. This sport is the shit, but it can also be the shits if you hurt yourself.
Eric
chanrider

Post by chanrider »

I am about 160 lbs and have 15M and 20M Yargas. In contrast to alf who is 200 lbs, I find myself using the 15M way more even when the wind is lighter.

I do use the 20M when the wind is really light, but I think it turns slower and thus doesn't generate power proportionate to the 15M.

Also, Alf might like to use arm muscles to turn the 20M beast. Personally I like to avoid using any muscle power if at all possible!

When the wind does pickup the 20M becomes too much very soon.

Anyway, I agree a smaller kite would be better. I like the Yarga a lot, but 20M I think doesn't make too much sense unless you are a big heavy strong guy!
SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

Alf so Chanrider at least isn't calling you a girly man!!
tjlydonjr

Post by tjlydonjr »

Thanks everyone for your info. This is truly a great community.

Ok I'm looking at say a 12m Bow kite or a 13.5 "C" kite.

What is the advantage of a Bow? Is it worth the price differance?

Thanks,
TJ
jradtke4

Post by jradtke4 »

@#$%
Last edited by jradtke4 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Advantages of a bow - search this forum with the terms "crossbow" or "turbo diesel" and you'll get plenty of info.

Short of it for a beginner (like me) - easy relaunch and 100% depower.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Less of this for a beginner, bows are just good for around here. Great depower range for soaking up gusts. More power per square meter because of the projected area, so a 12 bow has the low end of a 14m C kite and the top end of a 8m C. So more useful range.
Great safeties, less butt kicking body drags,super long glide jumps. Just all around fun.
I think most people who ride bows will tell you it makes kiting more fun and less intimidating. Certainly bows have increased my fun factor.
Throw in easy, relaunch, no more swimming after the kite and you have a great Mn wind tool.
If you can afford a bow get one, for your size I'd say the 12m.
drknap

Post by drknap »

You might want to get your fundamentals down well with a cheaper C kite first. I've passed up purchasing a bow kite on a couple of occassions and then been thankful it wasn't a $1000 kite I just sent into a tree or dock.
just a thought
Kurt
MK

Your kite

Post by MK »

It looks like you may have been talked into a different kite size.

I may be interested in your 20M if you are considering a smaller one. I have a 2004 14M Cabrihna and I am considering a larger one to be able to use on low wind days.

I think my size of 6'6" 210lbs may work on it.

Michael
steveb

Post by steveb »

Michael, I'm 220lbs and I used a 20m Yarga, it was my bread and butter kite, I could hold it up to 18 mph. So maybe you guys could do a deal.
If you don't let me know Michael, I still have the 20m for sale.
tjlydonjr

Post by tjlydonjr »

Thank you everyone for the info.

MK I don't think I'm ready to sell my 20m just yet. Because up here in Superior most days are not very windy. This next week the wind is only going to be in the 8-9mph range. So I need a light wind kite. I'm just not sure if my Yarga is going to do it.

I do want to get another kite though because the 20m does get to powerful very quickly. Alfie is willing to sell me one of his for a good price. And I'm checking on the internet for a Bow kite.

Thanks,
TJ