Spirit Lake Kite Saturday???

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Mike B

Spirit Lake Kite Saturday???

Post by Mike B »

I'm thinking about Spirit Lake on Saturday (and maybe Sunday) for a little kite action. The forcast looks beter than the TCs and Milly for temp, rain and wind. It also might be nice to get away from the MN fishing opener. How does Spirit Lake work for North winds? Are there good beginer spots? I will make my final decision late tonight or early on Saturday.
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Spirit works great on a north wind. Just got off Spirit 20 minutes ago. There is a beach launch by the spillway in the town of Orleans. Not much of a town, but it should be on the map. If you can get to Orleans, you can find the beach. Unfortunately, the spillway is not a beginner launch. Directly onshore. (note: the town of Spirit Lake is on East Lake Okoboji, not good for kiteboarding. I think someone from the TCs made that mistake once)

As for beginner spots, there are several on the west side of the lake if the wind is North to Northeast. They get shadowed pretty easy if there is any west. Marble beach might be ok, but there is a better spot up the road to the North. West Lake Okoboji has some more beginner launches and downwinders, but if things go wrong, you will have a long swim. If you come, give me a call and I can point you in the right direction. 713-517-3837.

Casey