Windsurfing/Kiteboarding Destinations Abroad

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

collinwood

Windsurfing/Kiteboarding Destinations Abroad

Post by collinwood »

Hey Y'all,

I am about to be funemployed for the next couple months with intentions of travelling abroad. Does anyone have suggestions of good destinations for windsurfing/kiteboarding? So far I have been checking out Thailand and Peru/Chile....due to the low cost and overall amount of things to do. I realize this is a loaded question, but any advice is greatly appreciated!
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

You might want to check the "destinations" section on this board or the Travel section at Kiteforum. Lots of ideas to be found by browsing those 2 areas.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=83
Chummers

Post by Chummers »

I just returned from Cabarete, Dominican Republic. If you're a single guy who enjoys some partying in the evening, Cabarete is an excellent choice. We got a roundtrip flight for $550 through Hobbit Travel (they use the charter airlines, Ryan International, which flys in/out of HUMPHREY terminal). There is a wide variety of hotels from cheap bare bones to more expensive, all inclusive. I suggest a cheap place that's walking distance to the beach. There's a kite beach just downwind from the windsurfing beach. Vela has awesome windsurfing equipment and will work with you to get reasonable rental rates (i.e., if the wind picks up only for the last hour of the day, they won't even charge you anything).
steveb

Post by steveb »

Vasaliki Greece, amazing windsurfing and beeches
tyson

Post by tyson »

anyone ever kited in new zealand? i'm goin abroad there to study for a semester next year...
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

tysonm wrote:anyone ever kited in new zealand? i'm goin abroad there to study for a semester next year...
No, but I saw a few kites in Christchurch on the south island last November. I am really envious. It was the most friendly country I have visited. A friend goes to the south island in our summer to snowboard. I guess snowboarding is awsome there. Have fun, mate.
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

collinwood

Been to both South America and SE Asia in the last 12 months. I think both have great spots for kiteboarding and anything else you are interested in, but if you are looking to maximize your dollar, SE Asia can't be beat.

Got back from Brazil this Sunday and it is now at least twice as expensive for me as it was when I was there 2 years ago. I was in Thailand in Sept and it was very inexpensive. I know there are kite shops in Pattaya close to Bangkok. I'm sure there are better kiteboarding places in Thailand than Pattaya, I just haven't done the research.

I was also in Vietnam, which was cheaper yet. When I get the time, my dream kiteboarding trip will be starting in Hanoi and working my way south along the coast to Saigon. It would be epic. Great beaches along the way such as Na Trang, Da Nang and many others. I had a great day kiteboarding in Mui Ne (Phan Thiet) near Saigon in September.

I'm very jealous, but if I had a couple months and wanted to strech funds as long as possible, I'd be off to SE Asia.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Casey