Any Snow Kiters in or near Sioux Falls, SD, NW Iowa, SW MN?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Post by Tighe »

The Real guys have a great program out there in Hatteras eh? Great way to get introduced to the sport.

There are some great riders just to your east around Okeboji and Spirit lake, Iowa. Casey and Jesse head the crew down there.

http://www.kiteboardokoboji.com/index.html

A lot of us come down your way in June for the Worthington Windsurf Regatta and Music fest. We usually kite Spirit while the races are run in Worthington. It's a great fest.

Hope you can make it this way for some of our Kite events. Great turnout from around the state as well as pro riders from around the US and beyond. Check the events section here for a listing.

If there is anything Lakawa can do to help your community down there grow I'll do it.

ride on.
Tighe
sail51

Hey Ted.......

Post by sail51 »

There is a Group of in Central Iowa....... Snow kiter's......
There were 4 of us our yesterday just West of Des Mione's in some sod Field's......... Ice not good here yet........
But how Far are you From Storm Lake, Iowa......... It's a really nice lake and only a 2 hour Drive for us...... We like to windsurf, and kite sail there in the Summertime......
We are also interested in Sprit lake, or Clear lake........ any time any of ya plan to Kite there, Please let us know......
Love to make some weekend Trip's..... anytime the wind Look's Good......
Keep in touch.......
Larry Reed..... Team World - USA - Iowa
sail51

Ted......

Post by sail51 »

Let's watch the Wind Forcast and the Ice......
I Work 4 10 Hr Day's, So can get free for Friday's, Saturday's or sunday......
It's a good Central Location for all of us at Sprit Lake...... and Not bad Access from I-90......
Maby We can Get a Good weekend there Befor The year end......
Anyone in The Sprit Lake area Have an Ice and snow Report????
Any Cabin's or such available for a Grop of Kiter's????
Larry......
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

We've got lots of snow on the lakes right now and it should stay here at least the rest of the week. Not sure about the ice. Should be fine. There were ice fisherman out on West Okoboji yesterday. I will check and give a full report later this week.

Ted, anytime you want to head down, you can get ahold of me at
casey at kiteboardokoboji.com or call 712-330-3020.

To be honest, we have become a bit jaded on the snow kiting thing here the past couple years. With the combination of good snow or ice, wind, and daylight being elusive. But I have had a couple great sessions at Kite Island with the crew up there when there was nothing here. The snow just hangs around longer up there.

Casey
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

Hi...I kite down in Cedar Rapids, IA.

My son plays baseball at Augustana College in Sioux Falls. We get up there about ever 2 months or so. Maybe we could hook up. It'll give me a reason to bring my kites...wife will love it.

Even better, maybe we could hook up with Casey and company some time in Okoboji.
G2 Kiteboarding
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Ted,

It might actually be good here this weekend if the wind cooperates. Snow just started and it looks like it's not going to stop until Saturday.

Kite Island on Lake Minnetonka is arguably the center of snow kiting in the Upper Midwest. There is a map in the lakes section.

Let me know if you want to make the trip.

Casey
sail51

Ted, Cassy, & Anyone else.....

Post by sail51 »

Sound's good to me too........ We lost all of our snow........
What Is the lake condition....... Ice, Snow, or Both????
I have Been to Spirit Lake..... and The launch at the beach on the west side at the north end......... Other Than That...... not Fanilar with the Area.......
I have a Snow Board...... Do I need a Blade on it????
I Also Could head up that way tomarrow..... if it look's good........
Keep in touch.....
Larry reedlj2000@aol.com
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Not sure of the exact ice conditions on Spirit. I know that a much of the snow on West Okoboji has melted and it is now a mixed surface. Snow does remains on some of the smaller lakes. Spirit is going to be somewhere in the middle. So I guess the answer is, "I don't know". There is plenty of snow everywhere else and . I will run to up to Spirit and take a look later today. The forcast is not looking real good this weekend, unless you're coming today.

cp
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Larry,

I had to make a trip to Clear Lake for work this morning. The lake looked like it was in great shape with several inches covering nearly all the lake. Looked like you could run straight snowboard. Didn't have time to check the thickness, but Clear Lake being shallow, is probably OK. The shallow areas in Boji are 6 inches according to ice fisherman. But in those situations, I "trust but verify".

Casey
ET

Post by ET »

Hey Everyone:

I am the Midwest Sales Rep for Ozone and Cabrinha kites. This winter I am targeting Iowa in an attempt to set up kite dealers and establish a clean network of shops that can serve your area.

If you guys have shops you do business with that you think should be a kite dealer shoot the info on over to me and I'll take a serious look at it. My business in Wisconsin and Michigan is largely based on the recommendations of the kiting community.

Thanks

ET

watershedsales@earthlink.net
Midwest Representative
Cabrinha Kiteboarding Equipment
Ozone Snowkites
Ultranectar Sportswear