Calhoun Developments Continue (posted for Chicky)

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Calhoun Developments Continue (posted for Chicky)

Post by Tighe »

Looks as though the Park Board is moving forward on their process for Lake Calhoun. Many neighborhood groups and concerned and affected associations, such as ourselves, would/should have input. Historically we have not been included in the process, and only given lip service as to our "inclusion". A few Park Board members such as Bob Fine (Park Board), and Jon Gurban (staff as Superintendent), have been spearheading the move of the Yacht Club to the South side, and have presently taken a wait-and-see what happens after the election, as to how the new members will vote. The Star newspaper reflected a Park Board consideration to downsizing of the original proposal from the original 3 retail, 1 rental event site, and Yacht clubhouse/school. What that "downsizing" means is unclear, but that view is due to the hue and outcry from the neighborhood associations and individuals that we have canvassed and informed this last year. (Remember, downsizing, is not eliminating, and does leave an opening for upsizing in the future for that site). It is the responsibility of ALL windsurfers to inform their friends and neighbors, on how important it is to preserve this natural sandy beach, open shore and recreation area, and open unobstructed waterway, with the continued objection to the installation of 140-180 buoys and boats, docks, and buildings, to that pristine site.

By the way, this is a REGIONAL Park, and you do NOT have to be a Minneapolis resident to voice your opinion to the Park Board now, or in the future! That is why the Park Board is not solely responsive to the Minneapolis taxpayer, as they do not entirely support the Regional Parks, and some Park Board members would like to see a greater self sufficiency of (particularly Lake Calhoun) the parks, with restaurant installations, and income producing buildings. This is objectionable to many Minneapolis residents and Park Lovers, and is not consistent with the preservation concepts of Theodore Wirth and others, past and present. Start, and continue to voice your opinions again and again, as it really does work!

As an example of other Park Board decisions regarding South Beach: The Park Board decided that they could no longer budget for the porta-potty at the South Beach (windsurf and rec beach on the south site), so removed it and placed it by the fishing dock, for the fishing school (The children are less likely to be able to "hold it" ). Even after the kids were back in school, the potty facility was not returned for at least 2 more weeks, and after additional requesrs. (It does work eventually!) For information's sake, it costs $300.00 per month for a Porta Potty, so if they wish to remove one from a parking lot area/swim/rec area that has heavily used that facility for 20 years, they will (and do) get individuals using the lake as a toilet. They did see it in their budget to increase the number of porta potties for Thomas Beach, so go figure. How long is the fishing school anyway? A six week program, as usual? I would think it cheaper to get them a short term facility for the fishing dock, as the number of individuals fishing, does not compare with the other uses on South Beach, nor do they stay at the beach as long as the South Beach users do. This, along with the continued use of the South Beach parking lot for a free mulch pick-up site, are ways to continue to degrade that site, so that residents will be more receptive to a "new and improved development" for that now neglected beach and lot area. It is a common technique to neglect a site, till it becomes unsightly, so that the re-development idea looks more attractive to a historically resistant neighborhood. (By the way, the Park Board spent $15,000.00 on hiring a marketing firm to investigate placing new restaurants on Park Land sites, so don't you think they could shift some funds for basic toilets? See the old Skyway article on the restaurant idea for Park land, if you missed it.).

Please do not become complacent. Write the Park Board NOW, and again after the November elections. Many of the new individuals running for Park Board office, are clueless on our position, what windsurfing needs to survive ("why can't you sail on Isles?"), and preservationist positions. We will have to start all over again with some individuals, after the election.

For letter writing: Try Jon Gurban at jgurgan@minneapolisparks.org (staff Superintendent), and be sure to request (insist?) a copy sent to ALL Park Board members, including those that may be installed in November. A number of outgoing members may not pass on the info, so plan to resend. In the past, our correspondence did not get out to all members, and publicly a few members did not even know about the CYC proposals, or our objections. I have heard on more than one occasion, that "CYC needs to move, and we want them to have a place for food for the kids". We believe there are other locations on the lake, and another "Tin Fish" and liquor license in unnecessary to the enjoyment and preservation of the lakeshore and shared water recreation. This should be an equal opportunity lake, and not be overdeveloped, like Uptown is now fighting to preserve. Individuals are waking up to the side effects of over development, whether it be on the shore, or in the water.

You MUST get your fingers working now, but most importantly, again after November elections, as the movement to "re-design" Lake Calhoun and surrounding land, will be back on the front burner. Inactivity and complacency will be a "yes" vote for something you don't want.

Windsuring Association
Save Our Site (SOS)

Begin forwarded message:

Date: October 3, 2005 1:37:12 PM CDT
To: r3j2psm1@yahoo.com
Subject: Updated Site Plan for Lake Calhoun - Park Board Staff process

Hi All,

I got the following "content" sent to me via US Postal Service from the Park Board, at my request regarding plans to UPDATE SITE PLAN FOR LAKE CALHOUN.  Since it wasn't electronically/digitally e-mailed to me, I'm retyping what I received.  It doesn't tell the reader very much, so perhaps inquiries should go directly to Commissioner Fine for further edification (e.g., what type of "process" will the park board staff initiate, will a citizens advisory group (CAC) be created and how will appointments be made to it, what's the 'time-frame' involved for updating the site plan (is there a current site plan, etc.)  Please excuse any typos and re-formatting mistakes I may have made in conveying the following info:

August 29, 2005

To:  All Commissioners

Subject:  Lake Calhoun - developing (updating) a site plan

Over the past few months we have heard from a number of individuals and groups regarding potential improvements to this area.  They include, but are not limited to:

Creating a "Sailing Village"  (classrooms, clubhouse) at the SE Corner of the Lake
Expanding the Trolley Service and presence on lake Calhoun
Reducing Congestion near the Refectory (Tin Fish)
Improving access for Windsurfers
Consider one-way traffic for sections of the Parkway
Installing a Fishing Pier/Dock on the West side of the Lake
Establish a "plaza" and service building at SE Corner
Remove maintenance function from such a prime parcel of land (3800 Rich.Rd.)
Re-locate the Archery Range

It's clear to me that we have many options/opinions for the use of this incredible park asset.  It's also clear to me that we need to look at these ideas and issues from an over-all perspective.  As such, I would like staff to initiate a process whereby we could begin "updating" a site plan for Lake Calhoun.  I would appreciate the support of the Commissioners in this endeavor.

collinwood

Post by collinwood »

Thanks for posting. I just sent an email...you are right, this is very important.