MALMOMENTUM

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Jim N

MALMOMENTUM

Post by Jim N »

The Giant Pond beckons with southwesterlies on Saturday. Hope you all can make it. Gotta load & go! 8) Jim N.
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Sunday looks just as good. Come up and play.
Eric
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Chris pointed out that on Experimental that West is looking better than North. I may do Washington or Green

we'll look in the morning.
Tighe
Sid

Post by Sid »

Friday night it blew at Malmo. By 8AM I was on a 6.5. The wind backed off later but I sailed on a 7.5 most of the PM.
Monday it was beautiful until early PM. 5,5 heaven, warm water, smooth rollers, no gusts.
About as good as it gets anywhere unless you want breaking waves. This lake is really good!
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Teri, Barry, and I enjoyed a swell time at Father Hennepin on Thursday afternoon. It was solid 5.5 and then later backed off to solid 6.5. That one section at FH has such beautiful big swell. I think Mille Lacs has got a bad rap for skunks but I'd argue it is the most reliable and fun body of water to sail on in W-NW-N winds associated with cold/cool fronts. I've been up there over 15 times in a row the last 3 years and came home happy and dead tired on all of them.

I did become spooked about going up there on southish winds because I was skunked or needed a 10.5 several times in a row. Having seen all the posts the last couple years I think it is a pretty reliable lake for big kites on south winds. I would only rely on it for windsurfing on S-SW when a strong front is approaching as was the case a few weeks ago on a Sunday and on Monday for you. The other odd thing is that on those S. days it often tends to blow harder in the early am so if your driving up there I'd get up and go early and don't count on the winds to continue all day. Also the readings in Brainerd or Aitkin don't represent those on the lake for most S. days except when the front is approaching. Saturday I sailed on WhiteFish lake north of Brainerd and it was solid 6.5 or better but much less than that Sat pm at ML.

Mille Lacs is such a great lake to have so close by and with the internet forecasting tools it has become a much more reliable sailing option. Sid: Your lucky to live so close to it that you can enjoy it much more than the rest of us.

Kevin
Kevin Ousdigian
Sid

Post by Sid »

It's been a good year for south winds up there. I guess if it gets hot enough those winds reach the lake. That sideshore sailing can become addictive. I'll have to drive down sometime to taste that FH swell on NW. In other cooler years there is always the green froth at Cannon. Still the best on summer southerlies.