Feds' weather information could go dark

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Denis

Post by Denis »

I can't believe this! I already paid for weather information with my taxes. I don't want to be slapped with another monthly "Weather Bill" to AccuWeather or whoever. It's like telling NASA that it can't publish pictures from their billion dollar satellite cause there's a private firm with a telescope that's selling pictures too. If weather companies want some money, they have to add value to the data. That's what we all have to do to pay for our food, sails and kites. I don't see a law sending me a kite for free.

I know, I'll open a company that offer moped scooter rides, and then have some politician make a bill to close down the highways.

Denis
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Last edited by Stroh on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Bummer. Thats what starts to happen when too many people vote Republican. :P
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Sorry, I just dont know what comes over me sometimes.
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pennsylvania obviously has been lobbied by Accuweather which being based in Pennsylvania is a constituent of his, but the logic behind the bill is really stupid.

Denis is right, Accuweather needs to give it's customers something that's worth paying for, that NWS doesn't offer for free.

Accuweathers problem is that the programmers at NWS offer some really cool stuff. Maybe if they would innovate instead of whine, the bottom line would follow.
cdelp

Post by cdelp »

thanks for the posting, I signed the petition. Nice to have someone care enough to get the info to us to at least try and do something about it.
dave t

Post by dave t »

Weather Underground even has a statement of opposition to this bill on their website. They have a link to the survey also. They say they use the NWS as a source and tool