advice

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Stroh

advice

Post by Stroh »

Last edited by Stroh on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Jon, You should let us know how big you are, weight makes a difference to the size of kite you will use.
Are you looking for water kites or snow kites?
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Jon, you found a great deal on the X2, which is still an excellent kite. I have an X2 12m I love. The bigger X2's are not know for the low end in light air though, so I would not recommend them. Plus, you will want something more forgiving on the water.

It will be tough to be satisfied with a 2-kite setup if your small kite is a 10m. 4-5m increments between kites is the standard around here. Having said that, I guess I would recommend a 15 or 16m for your situation. The Slingshot Fuel 15m is a fantastic kite. I saw one this week for less than $300:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/buysell/classi ... y=category

You could probably use your Naish bar and lineset with it. There are lots of 16m kites for sale too. You should be pretty safe if you go with a main brand, medium aspect 03' or newer model. Good used kites are starting to fall in the $250-300 range if you look around.

Check the Classifieds section of this site. Jason in Brainerd gives demos too. That might be a wise investment of your time.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

steveb

Post by steveb »

John. can't agree with Mike more. I'm 230lbs ,last year was my first on water ,I used a 16m most the time. What you are going to need is a big board, you'll find that will help.
In May we have a swap meet at The House ( a windsurf dealer in St Paul) you'll find lots of goodies there at a good price. Truthfully for water you won't be hitting it much before May so this will be good timing for you, Start saving!.
I ,and heaven knows how many other LAKAWA users, have a big board I want to sell so I can gaurantee at least one board you could use.
After your first year on water you may want a bigger Kite 19 to 25m but thats going to be personal taste. A lot of kiters say they can get going on 15 to 17 in light airs as they fly faster. Some guys like a big kite. I'm finding for us larger guys we need the grunt power of a bigger kite to lift us.
But I would say don't go bigger than a 17 in your first year, you'll get your ass humbly handed to you.
If you have the time get up to Mille Lacs this weekend, you'll find everyone very helpful, learn a lot and get to meet some of the crew.
Welcome to the Darkside.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »