Punta San Carlos, Baja

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

SteveJ

Punta San Carlos, Baja

Post by SteveJ »

Just returned from a great week of big wind, waves, and fun in San Carlos. Lots of great info about this one of a kind adventure destination can be found at the SoloSports web site. http://www.solosports.net/ They provided a great way to experience this unique spot and I cannot imagine not staying with them when traveling to San Carlos. I took the 8-10 hour van ride from San Diego down which was a good way to get a feel for and appreciate how remote and hard to get to San Carlos is. After sailing 7 days straight I jumped out of my wetsuit and right into a very small plane for a very scenic and quicker ride back to the US. I have taken windsurfing vacations in Maui, Cabarete, Bonaire, Margarita, Padre, Aruba, and now San Carlos. If you are interested in wave sailing that will not kill you this is the place like no other that I have seen or read about that land locked lake sailors like us in the midwest can ride the same waves that even the pros enjoy. The guests that SoloSports attracts is also very unique. On my trip there were 3 guys from Latvia, 2 solo return guests from Japan and Canada, a guy from Austraila with his 9 year old son, one from California, and a couple from the Eastern US that just turned 60 and really riped it up. This place is not for everyone (like my wife) but if you really want to ride some waves on a sailboard, Kite, surfboard, or paddle board then you deffinately should give it a try. The slogan that " You just don't know, until you go" is very accurate. I went Solo this year as a 40 B-day gift from my wife and really hope that I can find a way for her to let me go again soon. If you ever want more info or want to plan a group trip please let me know. Clark Meritt, pro photographer, took some shots during our trip and also some pro shots from a wave camp that I posted. http://www.lakawa.com/lakawaphoto/?show=172
Steve Johnson