Maui

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

Randy

Post by Randy »

I think I've been to just about every destination center you can think of, and Maui is my all time favorite. It's awesome sailing twelve months a year. In the summer it's flat water inside the reef with swells outside. The rest of the year it's waves on the outside and bump and jump inside. The southshore has great slalom sailing all year, except for the occassional Kona wind when port ramps abound. (the Northshore is starboard jumping).

Kanaha and Spreckelsville are my personal favorites and they offer conditions for just about everyone. Hookipa's well within the skill level for many of us, but the international competitive attitude robs some of that awesome aloha spirit felt most other places.

The trades blow NE wind and when they're on, it's sailing 4-5.5M on 80-100 liter boards. The water's very bouyant, so even when you're on a 5.5M, it feels as comfortable as sailing an 8M back here. It's the perfect place to work on new maneuvers. The water colors vary dramatically given the changing bottom depths and make up. It's common to see large sea turtles and flying fish. In the winter, it's common to see whales in the distance.

The beaches are closed for windsurfing until 11am. This gives snorkelers and kayakers a chance to share the waters. Kitebeach is just downwind from Kanaha windsurfing, and only the occassional kiter works into the windsurfing terrain. Beginners experience rapid learning from Kanaha's steady wind. Intermediates move to advanced in a week and advanced sailors move to expert in one trip's time...it's just that good.

While winds are generally 15-30mph year round, they're most consistent from March to October. Yet, the chance of a good swell moving in with high surf advisory is best during the winter. Some sail the southshore "offshore" winds for slalom sailing, but should always do this with a partner in the event of equipment breakdown.

Maui is called the "Valley Isle" because it has a valley separating the Western mountains from the Haleakala volcano. Haleakala is over 10,000 ft. and plays a large part in creating it's own weather. We have a place at 1500' in the Kula district where mornings are a cool 65-70 degrees, quickly warming to upper 70's and 80's when the sun breaks over the mountain. The climate is tropical on the windward side and arid on the lee side where we seldom see rain. We have camping, lodging and some equipment rental at our site, approx. 20 minutes from the water.

Maui offers spectacular hiking, snorkeling, mountain biking, kayaking and more. It's an island of aloha spirit and healing, quite rural in feel. There's a vast international crowd, quaint artistic villages, huge areas of undeveloped cattle country, bamboo forests, hidden waterfalls, and a population that's focused on environmental and personal healing.

Windsurfing Maui is definitely a spiritual experience as the abundance of life overwhelms every visitor. Sunrises and sunsets take the breath away.

Plenty of equipment is available for rent through a wide variety of shops. I've got some gear for rent when I'm not there. I've had great experiences at all of them and have most frequented Second Wind and Hawaiian Island Windsurfing. Al West does a great job with van rental.

I could go on and on about the beauty of this very special place and would be glad to hold a session on intro to wave sailing combined with slideshow and video of Maui. If interested, email me so I can put you on a notifying list.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com