Moderator: MK

Tighe

Baja, Mexico

Post by Tighe »

stevenP

Baja update

Post by stevenP »

Just got back 12/20/04.
If you are planning on going to Los Barilles, make sure that you check with Vela for gear availability. I drove there from Cabo San Lucas and when I got there they wouldn't rent me gear as their hotel guests had the first dibs. They said that there wasn't another rental shop in Los Barilles.

So we drove to La Ventana and there was much more action there. There must have been 50 or more boarders and kiters on the water. The campground RV park on the beach looked like people really stay for a while. I heard that people stay in their campers there for 3-6 months. Some satellite antennas mounted into the ground were an indication that they were there to stay for a while.

As for rental, I went to Baja Joe's and he was a pretty cool, laid back guy. His windsurf equipment looked pretty beat up though. Many of the boards had been repaired or in need of repair. The sails looked better. He said that 90 % of his business was kiting now. For the windsurf gear, it was $25 hour or $40 a day.

There were at least a couple small kite schools and Baja Joe's offers rooms too. La Ventana is closer to La Paz if you plan on flying in. Although it is probably cheaper to fly to Cabo.

Good, predictable, 5-6m sideshore wind from Nov. - March and some small rideable swell seems typical from talking to a couple of people. I only had time to sail one afternoon so I am not an expert on Baja.
sPk