Barbados

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

RobH

Barbados

Post by RobH »

I have made 2 trips to Barbados, once in the low season over Thanksgiving 2005 and recently to bring in the New Year 2007. The Low Season ends in December and lodging costs typically double at that point. The wind seems to also follow the High season, although you may find wind in November you will have more luck with the Wind December through March. Barbados is a British island so English is the primary language, the Bajans take great pride in Barbados, the island is very clean, safe, and flourishes on tourism. We are planning a return trip to Barbados in late January of 2008 and will be promoting the trip next November hoping it can be the January Caribbean version of our November South Padre.

Kite Beaches
Silver Rock/ Silver Sands - Strong intermediate/advanced
Wind here is side shore to side on shore, Club Mistral and the Silver Sands hotel sits on the Silver Sands beach. There is enough room here to launch kites and of course this is the beach the windsurfers from Club Mistral sail from. There are no rules to follow for where to ride and kiters and windsurfers share the water and waves. Silver Sands beach is downwind from Silver Rock Beach so I would recommend hiking all the way up to Silver Rock beach as if you end up down wind from Silver Sands beach there is only one spot of sand appropriately called Rescue beach to save yourself before going miles down wind for the next chance of rescue.

Silver Rock beach is just upwind and around a bluff from Silver Sands - this is the new home of Brain Talma "The Iree man" who is constructing a windsurf/kiting shop just up from the beach. Silver Rock beach can be very busy on big days with allot of kites, the reef is fairly close in so you will want to be capable of riding past the reef and the 6-12 foot breakers at the reef depending on tide and wind. The reef provides a playground for windsurfers and kiters who are looking to play with the big breaking waves and can prove to be heavy traffic. I would recommend wearing a leash to your board as if you loose your board in this area it will not drift inward to the beach but carried out with the tide.

Club Mistral does give beginner kite lessons here because it is close to the shop, however the beach is small and has very little room, it seems to work okay for the body drags, however once the person is at the stage of putting a board on they are often at the downwind end of the beach before they have a chance to get a decent ride, then if they miss the beach they need to hope to get into shore before going past rescue beach. I would not want to be a beginner kite boarder here.

Lodging in walking distance of Silver Rock/ Silver Sands
Silver sands hotel - I stayed here once, rooms are okay but the service is so slow at the desk, the bar, the restaurant I would never stay here again
Coral House - operated in conjunction with Surfers bay, Ideal location with large rooms. High season $80 for 2 or $120 for 4.
Essex Bay House - operated by our new friend Jackie - Front apartment very nice, 2 bedroom and is between Surfers bay and Silversands
Mallard House - right on the water, great location have not been inside
Silver Rock hotel - This is new in the last year, have no idea on prices but its on Silver Rock beach

Long Beach - beginners and up
This is a nice beach and not busy at all even during Holiday high season. It is not walking distance from anywhere unless you stay at the Long beach hotel. This beach has more on shore /side shore wind and a much much longer beach. It is also possible to do a nice downwinder starting here and ride to Silver Rock/Silver Sands. Steve with Redeye kiteboarding brings his lessons here in the morning when the shore break is small. The afternoon shorebreak can be very big and powerful, but once past the shore break it settles down. There is a reef here as well but there is much more space between the reef and beach than what can be found at Silver Rock. The surf and waves are still big at the reef making this a more ideal beach for those not on the advanced stage of kite surfing. The only lodging I know of here is the long beach hotel, the only downside of staying here is its a bit more remote, however with a rental car this might be a great spot.

Places to eat
Surfers bay ! Opens at 5:00 and meals average $12 to $20 with desert - excellent food and service run by Steve of redeye kiting
Silver Sands - forget it, very slow and food below average
Lunch - Small bar/grill just up from Silver Rock beach, beyond Brian Talma shop - ask for Ravi
Fridays - Oystins fresh fish market, multiple vendors grilling up the freshest fish - $10 a plate (do not miss this)
The Gap has all the nightlife and restaurants. Best band is Roadhouse!