Belize

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

stevenP

Belize

Post by stevenP »

I just returned from 17 days (Jan/Feb) in Belize, Central America.
Here is what I found for windsurfing.
Belize's east coast is protected by one of the largest barrier reefs. I didn't find any windsurfing (I didn't look that hard) on the coast itself but it would be possible if you have your own gear.
The windsurfing seems to take place on the Cayes or Keys, there are over 200 small islands that dot the coast.
I spent most of my time on Caye Caulker, as small island about 20 miles from Belize City (where the international airport is). It is a very laid back and rustic island with only small mom and pop hotels and cabana's. We were trying to keep on a budget and were able to find places to stay on the beach for about $15-30 a night. But if you want A/C, TV, etc, then you will probably have to spend $50-100/night.
There is one place that rents a couple boards, SeaBreeze? but it is very limited. They have a few Techno's of different sizes and a couple sails. Gear is in pretty good shape but not new.
On a nearby, and largest (25 miles long), more expensive and much more developed island, Ambergris Caye, there is a real rental shop, Sports Sail Belize. Rental is $10/hour. http://www.sailsports.net/
They have some JP boards and a much better selection of equipment. Here is their list.
BOARDS:
Size/Style Brand/Manufacturer Quantity
Beginner Starboard Start
Hifly Revo One
Five
Long boards Mistral Escape
Bic Rumba One
One
Widestyle Starboard Go Two
140L to 120L Starboard Carve, Mistral Explosion, F2 Ride One of each
120L to 100L JP 116, Mistral Custom Flow, Fanatic Bee, Mistral Screamer One of each
Sub 100L Carve 99, JP 96, Starboard Fish, Hi-fly FX One of each

As for the windsurfing itself, iI only went out in Caye Caulker, but it is windy in the AM and around 3-4pm. The water is shallow (often you can stand up) and is protected by a reef.

All in all Belize is a great spot for a cheap Caribbean vacation. Especially if you dive (I got my PADI Open Water certification on Caye Caulker for $225). English is the main language and it is very laid back.
Here is another site about Ambergris Caye http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/island.html
Enjoy,
sPk
BryceB

Had a great time in Belize in January

Post by BryceB »

My wife and I visited belize for 10 days in January, and we had an incredible time. We also got our open water certications, and the diving was absolutley amazing. We took several day diving trips out to the offshore atols (lighthouse reef, the Blue Hole, and Turneffe Islands) and were completely blown away by the abundance of sea life....turtles, 5 ft long tarpon, groupers, rays, jacks....and even had two opportunities to swim with dolphins!

But with all the diving, I couldn't help kicking myself for not bringing my kite. I am sure there are some good spots on caye caulker, but my guess is that they would be on the undeveloped side of the island (the other side of "the split" (the island was divided by a hurricane in the 60's). Its still shallow there, and its protected by the reef thats about 3/4 of a mile out. But your far enough away from all the docks etc to be able to set up in the shallow water.

The breezes were often quite strong, though I do remember 2 days where there was almost no breeze, and we had a lot more biting gnats etc those days.

The island life is extremely laid back, and food is simple, great, and inexpensive. I highly reccomend Caye Caulker to anyone who wants the carribean on a budget.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

I took my family to Ambergris Caye, Belize this spring ('06). Ambergris Caye is a very laid back island which is the one of the most popular destinations off the coast of Belize. The coast of Belize is best known for its 185 mile Barrier Reef (second longest in the world) which is 5 to 20 miles off the coast. Ambergris Caye is a 25 mile long island 1/2 miles inland from the reef, and just north of Caye Caulker. AC runs north south with the the prevailing winter winds being NE to E which gives you side-on to onshore winds.

The whole family had a great time, and I was able to kite every day that I was not doing some other activity. Wind was good, from side, to straight on. On West winds you can go over to the lagoon side where the kiting seems to be similar to SPI (I never made it over there). There were very few kiters on this island. You can take lessons from Sail Sports Belize (kiting or windsurfing). For kiting they take you out to the barrier reef by boat (3/4 mile offshore) and teach out there. The launches from the beach require an experienced kiter as the shoreline is dotted with piers, some very close to one another. So if the wind is side-on or onshore you will have to tack a few times to get away from shore. So you need to be able to get upwind. Once off shore kiters will be rewarded with fantastic Caribbean wind & water. The island is great fun. 95% of the transportation is done by golf cart. Many fun restaurants and bars. The snorkeling & diving superb. You can travel by boat or puddle jumper to the mainland for other activities ie; Mayan Ruins tours, Cave tubing, Canopy Tours, etc.]

All in all a great family destination. There are probaly better locations for a pure windsurfing or kiting destination. But overall it was a great destination for a family vacation. I was able to kite as much as I wanted right in front of my resort & the island provided enough activites to keep everyone else happy. If anyone has any specific questions about AC, post a reply here. I have tons of info and links for the area. We had such a good time we have already booked a return trip in '07.

Be sure and visit Fido's Bar & Resaurant, in San Pedro, AC. Fido's has a gasoline powered blender, with handlebars and a twist grip throttle like a motorcycle. If you order 4 tropical drinks, you get to drive the blender which is called "The Harley Blender". :P

Great website with a forum that has everything you ever wanted to knnow about AC.
http://www.ambergriscaye.com/

AC Forum:
http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

http://www.sailsportsbelize.com/
Jag

Belize-Abergris Caye

Post by Jag »

My wife and I went to AC Jan 08, stayed at the Mayan Princess and loved it. Jan is a slow month, so no crowds or waits at the restaurants-food was resonable and absolutely great! It is a good Catholic town, so friendly, safe and happy people. Dive/snorkel trips were with Amigo del Mar--really good and prices were resonable-$60 for two tank morning dive. Temps, low 80"s and water almost as warm, Great!

Windsurfing, Kiting-http://www.sailsportsbelize.com; equipment/prices were good and Chris is a good fair guy. Wind was light(Jan is a light wind month) and there are long docks to contend with--especially for kiters. Because the wind is almost straight on shore and the reef a 1/4 mile out--you can go for miles once you get beyond the docks--on clear flat warm water.

Jag