Cape Hatteras

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Cape Hatteras

Post by Tighe »

Hatteras is a great inexpensive place. Go there to kite or windsurf. Like Padre Texas it is a long narrow strip of land off the N. Carolina Coast. Shallow flat water sound side. Waves ocean side.

It is a place I will return to again and again. Here's some snippits, web style.

4-4.5 hours from Raleigh Duram Airport, easy, beautiful drive.

2.5 from Norfolk ( flights are more $)

Long thin ( few hundred feet to maybe a mile) strip of land 25 miles off the mainland.

Sandy shallow flat water sound side and big beaches and great surf ocean side.

No booties needed. : )

Ghost town in the off season. Hundreds of million dolllar homes deserted, completely dark at night.

Supper steady winds.

Housing is super cheap for deluxe accomodations. We had a 3 story house, acres of decks, hot tub, cable, etc for $130 per person. Cheaper with more people.

Great kite and windsurfing instruction.

Plenty of rental options

They have mosquitos

April is one of the best months...still off season for rentals

web cams:

Some links in the lower right corner:

http://www.vacationbuzz.com

Also the North Carolina section:

http://www.rsn.com/cams

http://sncsurf.com/
Tighe
Tighe

Hatteras Insides

Post by Tighe »

reposted from archives: Jim Holtan Author
If you can afford 900 bucks then absolutely rent a house on the sound that you can sail out of. I don't know how many people are going but these homes sleep as many as 12 to 16 so the more people the cheaper. Otherwise there are homes on the soundside that go for 350-500/week. Then there is camping in Frisco, brrr. I prefer Avon over Buxton. The road to Buxton can wash out, like they are warning today. Canadian hole is just north of Buxton which I believe has a liquor store. Remember national park no hard liquor. Stop at Brew Thru in Nags Head on way down. 4wd is fun but not necessity. If you don't have experience be careful. Deflate your tires if you get stuck. Going is slow in the sand and you burn a lot of gas. Stop at Windsurfing Hatteras in Avon to get your bearings, where to sail from etc. The island bends at Rodanthe and Buxton so wind direction can warrant travel. Pier restaurant in Rodanthe at least once. Orange Blossom cafe for breakfast or lunch in Buxton. Try the fish chowder and turkey treat. Apple fritters at breakfast. Winter is quiet time on the island so many places will be closed for season. Build a bonfire on the beach one night weather permitting. Sail to the reef in Avon if wind direction is right. Windsurfing Hatteras people can point you there. The top dog cafe is good across from Hatteras Island Sail shop in Rodanthe. Rodanthe is also a good place to stay. You can sail right out of the Sail Shop Parking lot and you have food close. There is a grocery store in Avon. There is kind of a grocery store in Buxton. And finally, I need to give you my copy of Kooks of Hatteras II video so you can start amping. Maybe I can leave it with Larry at Scuba Center with your name on it. If you stay in Buxton stop by Fox watersports. Buy fresh fish at the small fish market. Do it all!