Sun Valley, Idaho

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

Tom L

Sun Valley, Idaho

Post by Tom L »

There are a few locations for snow kiting in the Sun Valley area. The closest is Phantom Hill which is 12 miles north of Ketchum (same as Sun Valley) on Hiwy 75. You can only park off the road in the areas where the road is widened for parking. There is a sign on the right side of the road marking Phantom Hill. Most people kite on the South side of the road although I've heard people kite on the North side which has more terrain, but you will have to hike a bit (4 blocks) to get on the other side of some power lines. You might need snow shoes for this hike if the snow is deep. The valley runs East/West so East or West winds work best, with a Northwest being the best. I kited this location and it was great. The other location is the Fairfield/Camas Prairie area. This location is a 1 hour drive SW. Take 75 South to 20 West and go to Fairfield. I don't know exactly where you kite at this location, although if there is snow, you could kite all over the place.

Camas Prairie forum:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snowkiteidaho/messages

Ketchum can be an expensive town but there are cheaper retaurants to be found. Try KB's (Ketchum Burrito's) for an inexpensive meal sure to fill you up. Also try their Margaritas made with Saki...gggrrreat! Roosevelt Tavern restaurant is good american food with a nice deck upstairs if it's warm enough.
Last edited by Tom L on Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

IF ANYBODY WANTS TO KNOW AREAS TO KITE IN SUN VALLEY LET ME KNOW. I LIVE THERE IN THE WINTER MONTHS EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KITE I KNOW WHERE ITS TAKING PLACE. THE CAMAS PRAIRE GETS A TON OF WIND ALL WINTER LONG ACROSS THE GREAT BASIN DESERT.
Nathan B

www.snowkitesoldier.com

Post by Nathan B »

Idaho is a premiere snowkiting destination.
check out http://www.snowkitesoldier.com for more information, ask for Monty, tell him I sent ya and he will hook you up!