Kiting in Cozumel

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

tom_latcham

Kiting in Cozumel

Post by tom_latcham »

Just got back from a real fun trip to Cozumel. Sadly I was only able to kite two days. I needed my 15 both days. I talked to local kiters they said the best trade winds are from October to end of March. My trip was from the 13-20 of March. The winds were good the week before I arrived. They also kicked up again as I headed for airport. Morning and evening winds seemed better with a slight mid day lull. I stayed at the Melia all inclusive. This is the last hotel before Country Club Beach. I liked it because it is end of the road with every thing north undeveloped. A few condos can be rented on Country club beach but cost as much as the all inclusive. The beach is the best on the island and is very uncrowded.
One day we sailed up around the north end into some flat water lagoons where the only sign of human development is the private Isle of Passion. The water is shallow and clear allowing you to see fish, morey eels and turtles swimming in the reefs below. The water color was so beautiful. On the other day me and three local kiters chased a cruise ship out into the deeper blue water. The color is so blue that it seems fake. We chased it half way to Playa del Carmen. The launch ramps created by the ships wake were so much fun. We turned back when a police boat showed up. But they only seemed intrested in watching us jump the wake.
Even though I did not get to kite as much as I wanted It was a great trip. The scuba diving, snorkeling and beach combing fills the no wind days just fine. Next time I would go in February in hopes of using some smaller kites.
There are a couple kite shops on the island. I did not get time to check out. However I found a great guy for local knowledge. He is a level 4 kite board instructer. He lives near the last condo north on Country club beach. When he is out riding or giving lessons. He puts out Slingshot, Cabrinah, and Freak Dog flags on the beach. His name is Ed Holden his phone number is 044--987-103-0750 or 818-292-8704. He may also be emailed at addictionkite@hotmail.com
Tom Latcham
Cory M

Re: Kiting in Cozumel

Post by Cory M »

Update on the above. I contacted Ed Holden prior to my trip in April and he sent me to Paco Chan (pacoskiteboarding.com). Had a very nice time in the northern lagoons. If you want down to earth kite instruction without all the fees and bull, go to Paco.