Windsurfing Mexico Baja/Los Barilles 1hr from Cabo San lucas

Travel Destinations

Moderator: MK

surfalex

Windsurfing Mexico Baja/Los Barilles 1hr from Cabo San lucas

Post by surfalex »

I just got back from Cabo san lucas last week. Rented a car and drove to Los Barriles ( 1hr 20 min / 40 bucks a day for car rental ).
Checked out the wind on iwindsurf, called for 15 knots, did not sound to promising but i decided to check it out.. ( desperate minnesota surfer )
Arrived and was pleasantly surprised by the much stronger then forecast wind. Was told that the iwindsurf.com windforecast is usually 5 to 7 knots weaker and actual winds. The 15 knot forecast wind, 8 days ago was more like 25 to 30 knots. I little tricky to find the place, no signs or anything to guide you. The town looked cute and charming ( and safe ) much less crowded than cabo / san jose del cabo.
As far as equipment , vela has a very up to date fleet of moderd Jp;s and starboards. Anything from wider freeride type boards to pure wave boards. Sails are almost brand new, NP and one other brand. 2 or 3 set of each size and they vary 0.2 - 0.3 meter is size. 5.0 5.2 5.4 5.7 etc...
You will most likely find something that works for you.

The day I sailed, I would gustimate about 10 - 15 windsurfers, about 3 or 4 kite surfers. A few more kitesurfers about a mile north of the velar-resort , maybe 8 or so.
I had a good experience, the staff is looking our for you in case you have a problem. I felt that 75 dollars a day was a bit step for gear rental. ( mexico is supposed to be cheap )
Wind ( el norte ) is from the north , 90 degrees to the beach. Fairly gusty but it never drops like it does in minnesota. It is still early in their season, was told that the non windy days are longer in the november , December ( sometimes up to a week with no wind ) Later in the winter the non windy days are fewer and shorter.

Finally, this is NOT a flat water sailing spot by any means. Fairly big waves once you get out about a 100 yards. Pretty rough sea, this is NO south padre. Smaller breaking waves by the shoreline. Felt i little out of my comfort zone.. But also, i am i lake sailer from minnesota, it is all about what you are used to.. Waterstart is a most or you will have a struggle out there. I can get 9 out 10 jibes working out just fine on the local lakes. Out here, 9 out of 10 jibes were unsuccesful, very different from our flat or sometimes choppy lakes..

and here is their website
http://www.velawindsurf.com/baja/index.html