Overflying

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

wps6

Overflying

Post by wps6 »

Newbie Question: I just bought an 08 Best Bularoo, after practicing a lot with a trainer kite. After a couple of sessions on dry land with the new kite I've had only one problem with flying. When hovering the kite overhead, it wants to keep flying back over my head, sometimes crashing behind me. What do I adjust to get the kite to stay neutral?

I have it rigged in all the default knot positions illustrated in the manual and I have the depower strap fully extended (i.e. no depower).

Can't wait to get out on the snow this winter.

Thanks!

-Don
Bryce

Re: Overflying

Post by Bryce »

If you post in the chat section you might get some more visibility.

Are you flying in gusty conditions? (like a soccer field surrounded by trees). If a gust hits the kite when it directly overhead it can cause it to fly to far forward (fly way over your head).. lose tension on the lines... and drop.

If that is the case, keep a bit of tension on the back lines and don't fly it directly over your head.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
wps6

Post by wps6 »

Bryce,

Thanks. Yes, flying at a local ball field. No wind shadows, but gusty both days.

-Don
Reds

Post by Reds »

keep the kite moving. I am not a fan of parking the kite overhead. Danger of getting accidentally lofted. Plus if it overflies, crashes, then re launches, you have a problem. Keep em tight!
Patrick
Erik Stone

Post by Erik Stone »

I agree with Reds. Keep it high to one side. If you need to move through 12 o'clock, or you want to hold it there, be ready at any moment to turn the kite down to either side if it starts to overfly. Not an issue if you have fast reflexes, but if you are too slow to react, you will lose your tension, and then it's too late to turn it down to one side. During the gust, use the gust tension to get the kite down during the gust, then bring it back up after the gust.