builders: fiberglass fabric source?

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

Kosk

builders: fiberglass fabric source?

Post by Kosk »

Any board builders out there?

I've got my ply laminated and rockered. I'm ready for a layer or so of glass to reinforce it a little. Where do you get fiberglass fabric locally? NW Canoe in ST.P? Any place else?
Paul F

Re: builders: fiberglass fabric source?

Post by Paul F »

Kosk wrote:I've got my ply laminated and rockered. I'm ready for a layer or so of glass to reinforce it a little. Where do you get fiberglass fabric locally? NW Canoe in ST.P? Any place else?
I used West System supplies and looked on their web site. They list a dealer in MN. http://www.sevenseas-mn.com/
littlejohn

Post by littlejohn »

Many years ago I built a board and bought my fiberglass and epoxy at Iasco. It is located on the same block as the old Hoigards location off 100 and 36th. Last time I drove by it was still there. Check em out.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

http://www.uscomposites.com/

I have been using uscomposities epoxy... it is about 1/2 the price of anything else out there. you can also buy fiberglass sheet here (or carbon fiber :D )
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

Eric Bro

Post by Eric Bro »

If you really want the light, strong lay-up materials of all types (glass, carbon, kevlar etc) I have used Aircraft Spruce in Atlanta and Wicks Aircraft Supply in St Louis for my homebuilt airplane, and you can build extremely strong lightweight structures with these weaves. Use of composites doesn't get any more advanced than in the aircraft industry. They also have many options on epoxies, rollers, vacuum systems, etc and ship within 24 hours.

Locally I've used West Marine in Stillwater, (also in Hopkins and Bloomington) for fiberglass supplies.

I'd love to hear about your project!

Eric
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

lets see some pictures!
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

awesome, thanks guys.

It's nothing special, just a lighter wind board. 150 x 44-45, haven't decided on a final shape yet.

$600-$800 for a Spleene or similar is ridiculous. Kiteboards in general are stupid-expensive in my opinion. Especially compared to wakeboard prices.

So far I've got two pieces of 6mm birch laminated together with about 30mm of rocker (3-stage with 60cm flatspot). I originally wasn't going to glass it, but now looking at it I think it's gonna break without some more reinforcement. My plan is to add just a layer of 4-6oz glass on the top and bottom. It's proally gonna be a sled, but it's fun and proally won't be the last one I make.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

two 6mm boards together should be plenty thick so you don't have to glass it. Just put a layer of epoxy or varnish or poly so the water doesn't soak it.

My lightwind board is a 1/4 inch birch plywood with one sheet of glass on it. It is held up to ALOT of abush.

On the one I'm working on now. It is 1/4 also. I put fiberglass on the bottom and I may put a sheet on the top under the footpads. My first board was starting to have a bit of cracking where the t-nuts are holding in the straps so I thought I would reinforce it on this one.
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

Bryce wrote:two 6mm boards together should be plenty thick so you don't have to glass it. Just put a layer of epoxy or varnish or poly so the water doesn't soak it.
That was my original plan, but then I got a little skeptical. Thanks for the heads up, maybe I will just finish it and leave out the glass on this one. Save it for iteration 2.

Are you using the knock-in 1/4-20 t-nuts or something else? I found some brass .375" self tapping 10-24's on McMaster (99362A500) that look like they might do the trick and keep from ramming those 4 spines into the deck and weakening it.
Diego

Post by Diego »

I second Bryce, the two 6mm plys should be plenty strong without galss. So may be for iteration 2 you could do one 6mm sheet and then fiberglass top and bottom. it will be lighter and not as stiff as 12mm. The SSteel t-nuts work really good for inserts, I try the brass ones but didn't like them.

I get most of my stuff at express composites in minneapolis. http://www.expresscomposites.com is the most complete fiberglass local supplier that I've found. Good luck!
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

http://www.expresscomposites.com/ in SE MPLS is a great little shop for glass & carbon cloth, & a host of resins, cores, etc. at good prices.