Washing a Wetsuit

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

chanrider

Washing a Wetsuit

Post by chanrider »

OK, I thought wearing my 4/3 wetsuit under a Pyro Pro drysuit worked quite well. It provided plenty insulation just like fleece, but I felt safer cuz any leakage would still allow for the neoprene to work as normal. I guess fleece also provides warmth when wet, but not sure if it's as effective as neoprene?

Anyway, here's the problem... I have tried washing the old 4/3 in the driveway with dish soap, a scrub brush and a hose. It's still pretty smelly. And let me tell you after a sesh under a drysuit she gets really ripe! Whew!

Should I track down some special wetsuit soap? The odor seems like it's locked into the deepest core of the neoprene at this point. Is it just time for a new suit? The 4/3 is about 5 or 6 years old so that's prolly getting up there in dog years.
Mark F
littlejohn

Re: Washing a Wetsuit

Post by littlejohn »

1. The stink comes from bacteria.
2. Your problem comes from not allowing the wetsuit to flush normally by wearing a drysuit. The bacteria festers in its ideal breeding grounds.
3. Rinsing your wetsuit after use and drying it well will help.
4. Soaking it in a 5 gal bucket of cold water with a table spoon of bleach will kill the bacteria.
5. Maintain your wetsuit rinsed and flushed well as well as sun dried inside and out.

I have 10 year old suits that don't stink much. You just need to maintain them.
chanrider

Re: Washing a Wetsuit

Post by chanrider »

The bacteria festers in its ideal breeding grounds.
Yuck! I will definitely try the bleach thing. Thanks for the tips!
Mark F