Tips and Tricks

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

mdh01

Tips and Tricks

Post by mdh01 »

I always appreciate seeing and hearing tips from others... Below are a few tricks I use to make things easier:

For snow kiting on lakes, you need an ice screw. I found it helpful to carry one with me too. Here's a handy way to store one so it's always with you - PVC tube and bungee strap: (credit to Pete G. in lake City for this idea):

Bar straps to secure lines (if yours doesn't have them). Cut a small strip from a bicycle inner tube:

Line tamers - these are handy for keeping the lines organized if you share the bar between different kites. You can order online at: http://www.kitelobster.com/

What to do with all the wet gear when you are done? Go to Fleet Farm, or an army surplus store and get a few army surplus laundry bags. These nylon bags are lined and waterproof. Stuff your kite, wetsuit, harness, etc into these and your kite mobile stays dry.

Kite pump - use one of these $25 battery operated pumps to get the kite pumped up and then finish it off with the hand pump.

Travel bag. I have an NSI deceiver for when I need to travel with a board and kites. If I'm just taking kites and renting a board, a standard golf bag works pretty well and is a little smaller too.

Mark
JRN

Nice Ones

Post by JRN »

Nice tips Mark! I buy the "pony-tail" bungees to secure stuff: strapping the wrapped lines on the bar: breakaway holders for my board leash if I get "yarded," etc. I like the line tamer & the ice screw holder. thanks, JRN
JanMarie

Post by JanMarie »

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate all the tips I can get.
duke56468

Re: Tips and Tricks

Post by duke56468 »

Mark,
Are the line tamers available locally or do we have to order them from overseas?
Ben
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

I'm only aware of this site...http://www.kitelobster.com but I'll ask one of our local stores to check to see if they could carry them. They work great!

Mark
duke56468

Post by duke56468 »

Thanks for the reply. Maybe if other kiters have an interest we could save a little on the shipping if nothing else.
Ben