What can I use to remove mold from the kite material

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

DeanD

What can I use to remove mold from the kite material

Post by DeanD »

Hello “Smart-ones”
I opened up my kite and found one dark spots that look like mold on the material. Does anyone have any good ideas for what I can and can not use for cleaning products that will not harm the kite material? I tried Windex but that didn’t work. Mold cleaner?? I don’t want to use something that will eat a hole in the kite material.
steveb

Post by steveb »

it's almost impossible to get off without damaging the canopy, I'm afraid to my knowledge nothing shifts it.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Might want to try posting to Kiteforum. There has to be something out there. Mold it nasty stuff.

Good luck
Tighe
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

There is a product that SailRite sells that worked very well for me. Says it works on Sails.

http://www.sailrite.com/214190

I've used it on 2 kites after picking up mold from SPI. My kites were in metal containers all week when not being used. Plus, they never dried until I got home. Mold was all over them.

With the product above, the mold disappeared. All of the fabrics seem to be doing fine. I cleaned them about 2 months back. So far there are no visible problems.
G2 Kiteboarding
avery

Post by avery »

This might work...

http://moldoff.org/index.htm
DeanD

Post by DeanD »

Thanks for all the replies, it’s a cabrinha kite and I also emailed them to see what they would use to clean the mold off.. Again thanks to all you for your help. I will let you all know what cabrinha answer is, and what product works the best on kite material..
See you on the water!!
Test monkey#1 Dean
DeanD

Post by DeanD »

Hello
I Received an email from the Cabrinha support team and they said use a simple solution of mild soap and water is fine to use on the kite.
So I think that they are telling me that I can use Mr Bubble, the soap we all used when we were a kid?
Thanks lakawa for giving me more info on what to try for cleaning my kite. I’m going to try using the IOSSO Mold & Mildew cleaner.
Thanks again for all your input.
Dean
steveb

Post by steveb »

Please let us know how well it comes off.
Regional Ozone Team rider
DeanD

Post by DeanD »

Will do !
ice_kmauve

Post by ice_kmauve »

my kite had some mildew on it when I pulled it out in January, due to storage slightly wet since Nov. I flew it in 10 degree weather for a day and never saw a trace of the shit on it since. I imagine a salt bath and then a day in the sun would pretty much kill anything off.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.