In Water Self Launch/ Landing tips??

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

Dean Rizer

In Water Self Launch/ Landing tips??

Post by Dean Rizer »

I'm assuming the launch area is crowded or there is no way to launch a kite safely at the water access area because of trees etc. Also assuming wind is side shore or slightly side on/ off shore and that someone on the beach knows I'm going out.
I'll be launching a Crossbow. Is there a way to let out the lines and stabilize the kite in the water so the kite dosn't launch before the lines are compeletely out ? Also wondering what might happen should I get into deeper water and cant touch bottom while I'm letting out the lines.
I'm thinking that when I am ready to come in I can Flag the kite and safely roll up the lines W/O the kite relaunching.
Thanks
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Dean, a classic drift launch will work, but you need to throw a few globs of sand on the canopy to make sure the LE stays stuck to the water. Let the kite drift LE to the wind, slightly cocked to one side. When the lines tension, the kite should pivot around. The wind pushes the sand off, and you are good to go.
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Mike thanks the realities of real kiteboarding in Minnesota have hit home. I have never done a classic drift launch. Hopefully I have the right idea. So it's almost like self launching on the ice; keep the LE down in the water and the edge of the kite to the side of the wind until I'm ready to launch?
Did the landing technique appear to be OK?

Thanks Mike
klimber

Post by klimber »

I fly the crossbows and water Launch almost 95% of the time.

this is how "I" do it, other may have other ideas but it hasn't failed me yet or put me into any uncompromising positions of fear.

Launching.

1. On land set up the kite and lines.
2. Wind up the lines making sure you keep the chicken loop clear and free of getting wound up
3. Wind up to about 15ft from the kite and put the little bungies on the ends to keep it all clean
4. carefully set the bar on the canopy by the middle strut making sure the chicken loop stays clear of everything.
5. walk around to the other side of the kite. attach the chicken loop (doing so keeps the lines from going inside themselves etc)
6. flip the kite over and attach my leash to the saftey loop on the kite.
7. reach down and hold the bar off the ground while you walk out with the kite, bar and board in hand.
8. let the kite hoover while you walk out.
9. push the baord a few feet then let out a few more feet of line....keep walking up wind. repeat , repeat.
10 letting out a few wraps at a time keeps a bit a water tension on the lines from tangling
11. when I have reached the end of wraps I check everything over and make sure everything is clear on the bar.
12. flip the kite leading edge down and hold it
13. disconect the leash from the kite and conect the leash to where you need to on the bar/lines
14. slide the kite left and right to make sure NO lines are caught on any scuff pads
15 dunk the leading edge into the water to put a bit a water on the canopy to help hold it down
16. I then slide the kite to off center a bit and push it out.
THIS IS THE POINT WHEN YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED TO BAIL TO YOUR SAFETY IF NEEDED
17. when the kite floats away I walk upwind even more and pull the bar all the way IN. when the kite is down wind and Leading edge down i feel it has less pull when the bar is pulled all the way in
18. flip the bar to untwist anything
19. grad either side leader (no further than the attachment) and up it goes!

TO LAND the Kite

1. set the kite on the edge of the window standing on it's wingtip withe the leading edge line with the ball on the upside.
2. take a deep breath
3. undo your donkey dick

Time to be quick

4. let go of the bar
5. undo the chicken loop and pull in the chicken loop line closer (don't grab ABOVE THE BAR) and grab the ball and YANK
6. move your leash to the red ball line and start pulling/walking up to the kite. it should drift but stay leading edge down. the first 20 feet of pulling are very important, then you can chill out
7. once you are at the kite, grab the kite, flip it over and move your leash to the safety loop on the leading edge.
8. let the kite hoover and walk/swim/wade to your bar.
9. YOU go to the bar, DO NOT pull the bar to you or you will have a line tangle night mare. follow the lines to the bar and wind them up all pretty and such
10. all this while not loosing sight or feel of your board
11. then go in, pump up a bigger kite and go back out and boost higher yet
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Dean,

I was copying & pasting as Klimber posted. Same concept slightly different techniques.

Bows are very easy to drift launch/land except at the high end of a kites range. For launching the most important part is to have your lines wound very accurateley on the bar. I wind the bar up so that the lines are tight when the bar is held at the LE. I have the lines tied off with a 2 half hitches around the end of the bar. I carry the bar & the kite with one finger through the pump leash to hold the kite, in one hand board in other. Go to where you want to launch and flip it over LE down. I reel out my kite by taking the lines off the bar one wrap at a time. If you screw up the unwinding you will have to start over from the very beginnning. Many people unwind the lines first as they walk upwind. You can let the XB drift straight downwind on it's LE. Your bar should be wound up with the lines in a depowered state. If you want the lines can be wound up in a semi flagged state but not too much. Like Mike says, I put sand, mud or some flat smooth rocks on the front of the canopy to hold it down. (not needed in light wind) When the lines are all the way out pull in a yard or two, and that wing tip will catch air, and the kite will be in a standard relaunch attitude. Stay clear of any loose line at the kite will power up fast.

I have never attempted this while in deep water. I've done it in the shallows or from a boat. Deep water without touching would be challanging.

I self land the same way everyone else. I am able to land my Xbow nose into the wind by vigorosly yanking on the topside front line (when its at the edge of the window). I have to yank in a lot of line and do it fast. If it is very windy this method may not work. Maybe others have suggestions for high wind self-land with a bow. In the water the Xbow can be flagged using a front line, and it will not re-launch. On water or snow, if it is really windy you really can't let go of the line you are using to flag the kite, without risking the kite re-launching. So you pretty much have to walk up that line, to secure the kite. Gloves are a must. In lighter winds, it's much easier
tyson

Post by tyson »

anyone have any helpful tips on self-landing a C-kite? apart from finding someplace to tie off the 5th line and just walking down to the kite i really have no idea ... thanks!
klimber

Post by klimber »

I might suggest NOT reeling out your lines as the kite drifts away. If it decides to launch on it's own....and bows will sometimes. you could be in a pickle and be forced to eject the whole thing. Thats if you have time to eject and get plucked and cooked instead

I make sure all line is off the bar and down wind before I let go of the kite. That way there is less chance of a line tangle (around themselves or your leg or the bar). and if it hits the fan I can dump the kite to the front line.

I don't find a need to carry and rocks or sand with me. Just dip the LE in the water and the aqua will bucket on the canopy just fine.

high winds or low....never had a problem
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Klimber your method is safer, thats for sure. I have never been able to get any water to stay on the XB canopy, except towards the tips. I'm just picking up whatever is at my feet to hold down the canopy. I'm not carrying around a bucket of sand. I have had the XB take off on me one time, but since the lines were in a depowered state it was not too bad. The weight keeps this from happening.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Dean. How are ya?.
Ok kites setup, lines attached. Figure 8 your lines around the bar ect. stop about 6 feet from the kite.put the elastics over the lines so they do not tangle. ( you know they will).
Whats really important now is the kite bar stays orientated to the kite. If you let it get out of synch with the kite it will put twists in your lines ( or worse). I orientate my bar left side to the left side of the kite and rest it on the leading edge in the middle by the pump leash. When I turn the kite over to walk to the water or turning the kite over when in the water I keep the bar in the same place on the le and turn it over with the kite almost as though it's glued to the le.
When in the water I keep the kite bladder down and put the kite over my head. ( Tip from Coach works great) so I can rest the underside of the canopy on my head and the bladder is a little like a head band it stops the kite going away, if you walk upwind backwards the bladder is on the back of your head and neck. Walk upwind with the kite over your head ( look ma no hands) and use your free hands to unwind the lines. Make sure they trail nicely behind the kite and watch for tangle loops or sticks etc. If you see a stick or a weed attach to the lines get rid of it, it will cause a line tangle.
When the lines are all the way out I attach my chicken loop as normal. Now check the bridle is free. It can get looped around the inflation tubes on your smallest struts. A really ugly experience. I shuffle the kite to the right and left with my head still under the kite so I can get a good look and make sure the bridle is free and clear. Then take a deep breath and throw the kite bladder down onto the water, try to start it rotating by getting one side of the kite more downwind by trying to spin the kite a little on the water.
It will drift downwind, when the lines get tight there will be some pull as the kite turns around into the normal relaunch position. Check the lines are Ok, do your usual launch and off you go.
Just make sure as the lines get tight you're ready to grab the red ball and flag the kite if anything has gone wrong.The xbow drift launches very well so long as you don't twist the lines and the bridle is free. 98% of the time I go out I drift launch. ( until I can get more of you buggers riding Cedar).
MAKE SURE YOU ARE NICE AND CLEAR WITHOUT OBSTACLES FOR AT LEAST 100 YDS DOWNWIND, PREFERABLY MORE. if you have a twist or something thats fixable it gives you the space to get it out without running out of lake.If it's not fixable or you're not sure grab the red ball, flag the kite and start all over.
Denis

Post by Denis »

For a C kite, you can follow all of Klimber's steps except that you don't have to put anything on the canopy (step 15).

In deep water, I swim instead of walking and do exactly the same steps of unwinding the lines, letting go of the kite while swimming upwind, relaunch and go. You will end up starting downwind of where you go in the water if you swim cause you will be drifting a bit. So make sure that you got plenty of space downwind.

I have to emphasize though, *make sure your lines are clean when you unwind them*. A simple loop in the lines while unwinding can cause a tangle which can make the kite launch out of control with no safety.

Denis
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Thanks for your help everyone, it was so easy to say " Steve, Mike, or Nancy, couild you give me a launch? I think I want to avoid being "Plucked and Cooked". Klimber, when I was in Padre I was able to land my bows on the beach just like on the ice. A little more pulling on the 16 but it dropped in fine and stuck.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Great answers. I agree with Denis though, the key is making sure your lines are clear before letting go of that kite. You should be able to follow your lines from your bar downwind and back up to the kite without any tangles. If they are at all bunched up along the length don't assume the tension will clear it. Just roll your lines back on your bar and clear them. If they are tangled you will not be able to control the kite.

As most pointed out, walking into the wind as you unwind your lines keeps enough tension on the loose line to keep it from getting all tangled.

I think I'll move this to Knowledge.
Tighe
tyson

Post by tyson »

can you land a C-kite the same way too then?
klimber

Post by klimber »

in regards to C-kites....yes...

some of them better than others...

for example:
1. Kite is parked at the edge on your right with wing tip touching the ground
2. reach up and grab the top (the left in this example) leading edge line and yank in 3 arm lengths. easier on c-kites since the leading edge lines are closer to you.
3. be ready to run and grab the kite before it slides away

if in the water just keep reeling in the line

(it has been a while. mind is foggy. don't take this for law)