Kite - Kiting upwind

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Kite - Kiting upwind

Post by Eric S »

There is some really good stuff for begining kiters in this thread. For me, the first situation that I was not in control of with a kite was on the water, heading downwind and getting faster!!! I've heard some folks call it "Exploding" when you are going downwind so fast and think you have no way out. Basically you Wipe Out and start over again with your kite upside down and alot more downwind than you were.

What I've learned from some of those early experiments is that I've tried to learn how to kite "As slow as I can", cutting upwind just enough to keep forward momentum. It's always easy to flirt with the downwind/out of control side of riding.

It's kind of an oxymoron, The faster you go, the better you know how to slow down. Here's some stuff from:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... forum=1&14

--------------------------------------------------------------------

LynchMob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys I'm new to the sport and some times I find myself in a very scary situation. When the wind picks up I find myself going out of control downwind until I finally have to bail. I can't seem to get the kite to the the lower edge of the window. The kite seems to always stay in the power zone my mater how close it gets to the water. How do I correct this? Should I be edging harder? How should my weight be distributed? Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

robertovillate

YES...you need to edge REALLY hard and make sure you understand the relative position of the kite and have the board moving UPWIND (look over your shoulder). You can practically slow the board to a stop if you are edging really hard. Make sure the kite is truly flying at the edge of the window and keep it low. Be careful though because if you let her go back up fast you will be pulled up off your edge, or if you let her fly downwind too much it will be too much power to edge against and you'll do "ye old butt brake" or a wild ride downwind.

Also, make sure you are using your depower strap effectively and your chicken loop if you use one. The type of board you use will also have an effect. Some boards edge better than others. Some dont edge worth a damn.

If you can't hold your edge let the kite go to the zenith where it has the least power and then try to reengage your edge and bring the kite down low and forward again.

It just takes some practice. Once you get it you'll be amazed at the control that is possible. You will actually feel like you have to TRY to go downwind once you figure out how to edge hard.

roberto

chicagokitesurfer

Weight more on the rear foot (assuming you're riding a TT). Straighten the front leg and lean back against the kite, shifting your weight rearward, and to the side toward your back (bent) leg/foot. Push hard with your heels. twist your hips into the wind (this is important). WIth your leading leg (straightened leg), pull with your outside leg muscles and pull the front of the board into the wind. All of this is uncomfortable to first do, but after a while, you do it and don't even realize it, or think about it.

this will get you going upwind. Looking upwind, not at the kite, will also force you to twist into thewind, edging more upwind.

Use your edging and upwind to control your speed. You'll find that balance point and be riding upwind in no time.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY

Posted: 2003-01-08 15:48
yes and dont forget to sheet out when the kite is low and still pulling too strongly, this will send her to the edge, if its still not working dig your rail in harder and point upwind more.

you'll get it.

Anonymous
Unregistered User Posted: 2003-01-08 18:20
the best advce so far.
try taking some lessons.

Anonymous
Unregistered User Posted: 2003-01-08 18:44
Hi,
When I had this problem,the best advice I got was to try to be very aware and quick in reaction to edge and turn upwinds when a gust hits.In a fraction of a second it can be too late and you can be pulled downwinds.Once that happens it can get critical because it takes time to fly the kite to the zenith,so always keep enough distance(I know,easier said than done). When you are more experienced you can feel the gust sooner and can react in time.
regards jörg

Mr Jo Macdonald

Hi Lynch, hold that edge and keep the board speed down. With a lot of wind in the kite if you fly it or ride fast you're givin it a ton of apparent wind too.

Anonymous
Unregistered User Posted: 2003-01-08 20:03
Kind of sounds like you misinterpret the purpose of bringing the kite down low. That by itself doesnt depower the kite at all or prevent the blasting down wind at high speed trap. Generally I keep the kite lines at35- 45 degrees angle to the water and bring the kite to the FORWARD edge of the window, not down on the water,by edging, sheeting out or both if needed. As wind and the power increases it gets to a point where the kite starts to lift you off the water because of the high angle of the kite.Then the kite is brought down low out of neccesity. MARK

Anonymous
Unregistered User Posted: 2003-01-08 23:23
For a while, concentrate on kiting as slow as possible. Also practice edging so hard that you actually stop and sink. Then get going again and do it again.

Concentrate on minimal kite inputs. The kite always wants to fly to the edge of the window until the angle of attack is such that it can't fly any further and this is when the kite is depowered. Pulling yourself upwind by edging forces the kite to the edge faster. Any inputs to turn the kite away from it's path to the edge of the window will also generate power.

As soon as you start moving downwind the kite drifts back into the power. In strong wind, even a slight bear-away down wind can start a chain reaction where you go more and more downwind, and the kite gets more and more powered. It can easily get to the point where it is simply impossible to get it back again. Only by sharply kiting straight downwind to luff the kite or jumping can you regain control.

You also need to learn to read the wind. When a gust hits, you have a fraction of the second to react and slow down and after this it is too late.

When super powered, drag your butt, arm and even front leg in the water to add resistance and slow down. When you are stationary on land the kite has no where to go but the edge of the window. if you walk upwind the kite goes there quicker. if you have your kite low and walk slowly downwind the kite will drift back into the power.

So you need to edge upwind, or at least slow right down and hold your ground.

Royce

One of the other contributing factors may be someone sold you a very large board to learn on. Basically once you can get on the board you should be riding a faily advanced small ie 5'6 or less size board. Another problem may be your kite is too powerfull. You should be no more than sternum deep when you are learning and the kite is directly above you. Mostly those speed runs are a result of you generating too much speed to start with. The faster you go the further back the kite goes in the window, the more power you have. BAsically don't go so fast, try a smaller board, easier to edge and make sure for your weight you have the corect kite size.
Good Luck.
aloha Royce.

cyclone

Posted: 2003-01-09 03:19
one thing that has failed to be mentioned here....

if youre already out of control hammering downwind, then you werent edging hard enough to prevent the situation. Once youre out of control (still happens to me in very overpowered conditions) the best way of dealing with it ive found is, keeping the kite flying forward, go over onto your toes and do a big toeside turn downwind. This will bring your position downwind in relation to the kite which brings the kite`s postion upwind to the edge of the window and back in control.

SENDIT!

Posted: 2003-01-09 11:29
Another really good way to deal with getting overpowered is edge hard and SENDIT! This gives some really nice jumps!
Of course, as a beginner, you should NOT try that. You'll probably just crash into some dumbass (like me) downwind of you. Good Luck.

SENDIT!

[ This Message was edited by: SENDIT! on 2003-01-09 11:30 ]

Kiterich

one major thing overlooked - this could be a 2 line kite - he doesnt say.

2 line kite - no mechanical depower
2 big a board
2 big a kite for the wind
Not enough edge pressure
Kite too high
Kite movements too fast
Not enough commitment and agression in the gusts.
All these were factors that contirbuted to some of my major overpowered spankings when i was learning with my 8.5 Wipika Classic.

One solution that goes against all you instincts if you do get pulled on a death run down wind. Head directly towards or bedhind the kite!!! This slackens the lines and the kite depowers and you will slow down. This usually gives you the time to readjust the kite to a low position, get your edge and head back upwind at a slower speed. MAke sure you keep the speed down by edging hard against the kite.

When you get better death runs are ok, get your speed up to warp 10, whip the kite from a low position and do a major fucking railey!

gaffer

a word of caution , if you do decide to ride towards the kite to kill the apparent wind make sure your lines dont go too slack (keep the kite highand the lines tight) otherwise you run the risk of the kite falling into the water or much worse falling into the power zone then powering up again.

Rv

Posted: 2003-01-09 16:03
The easyest and fastest way out of this problem I've found is to kick the back of the board round so that you switch direction and re-engage the edge to take you directly down wind. You are now traveling in the opposite direction to the kite, so it will quickly (within a second or two) hit the edge of the window and depower, and as soon as you feel this happen, kick the front back round and resume your original coarse upwind.

Kick the board round quickly to prevent it getting stuck half way (i.e. parallel with the bar) or you'll end up skipping towards the kite on the edge of your board.

Of course the best action is prevention, but that's already been covered...

Good luck, have fun,