Need some help rigging up...

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

collinwood

Need some help rigging up...

Post by collinwood »

I just got a bunch of gear at the swap meet and I am having problems rigging the sail with battens. Do you have to loosen up the battens to get the mast to fit in correctly? Does anyone have suggestions of websites to check out or books?

Thanks
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

What kind of sails are they? A lot of manufacturers have
web sites with rigging tips or forums. I bought an old Hot
sail, couldn't figured out how to get it to rig right, so I posted a
question on their forum.. got an answer from the guy who
designed the sail ; cool! NP even has videos.
collinwood

Rigging

Post by collinwood »

I picked up a Gaastra Nitro II 9.8 and a Neilpryde RX2 7.8

Thanks for the tip Mike G., I found some rigging guides on the websites. However, I know that I am still going to have troubles getting the cambers to stay against the mast even with the battens loosened. The sail gets really tight with the mast partially up the sleeve.

Are there any tricks to getting it in there or do I just have to give it a hefty shove?
steveb

Post by steveb »

Feed the mast into the luff sleeve trying to make sure the mast goes through the camber, once you have the mast tip in put the sail down very gently. Attach your base into the mast and downhaul the sail, if one of the cambers comes off the mast, rest the mast against your thighs and push down on the camber, hopefully that will reseat it, you may have to free your downhaul a little,if that does not work carry on and put on your boom and put some outhaul on the sail, that should make it easier to reset the cambers, I think both the sails you bought have little markers printed on the sail 3/4 of the way up to the head, downhaul the sail until the top is floppy upto those markers, I'd guess 1 to 2 centimetres of outhaul on your boom. When you sail if it's really pulling on your back hand when your powered you need a little more outhaul, if the sail is really twitchy and you can't seem to find the sweet spot you may need to let the out haul off a little.
You should not have to free the battens to get the mast into the sleeve ,though it can be a bit of a grunt pushing the mast through sometimes.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I had this huge NP Z1 9.3M that took me a long time to rig. The cambers always popped off and I was afraid I'd damage the sail by using so much force to get them back on. Mike I showed me a method that worked for this sail. I went from 30mins to less than 10mins to rig it.

http://www.downhaul.com/misc/010419/images/P4190005.jpg

This sail had like 5 or 6 cambers. Youch!

OK, Thread the mast as best you can, hitting as many cams as you can. If the pop off don't worry.

Once you get the mast to the top put some slight downhaul on it. Do not downhaul to spec. The cams will start to bow, another might blow off. Stop.

Put boom on and extend it a little extra. Grab your downhaul tool.

Go to the clew and OUTHAUL the crap out of it. Outhaul at least to max setting. Carefull because you don't have the mechanical advantage that you do at the downhaul. Don't hurt your back.

Now flip the sail so the cams that popped off are below the mast, ground side.

Now you should be able to get the cams on the mast alot easier. Kneel on the ground. Rest the mast on your thighes with the poppped off cam between your legs.

Push down on the batten a foot or so away from the cam and with your other hand, push up on the cam from underneath trying to have it pop onto the mast.

After you get them all on, Downhaul the sail to spec. you might have to let off a little outhaul if you over did it.

After downhaul, ease outhaul to spec.

That's how it went with the mighty Z1. It was virtually impossible to get all the cams to thread on that one and if you did they'd start blowing off during the downhaul.

good luck
collinwood

Thanks

Post by collinwood »

Thanks guys!!

I haven't had a chance to try your tips, but I am going to get on it this weekend.