Self Rescue. Quoted from Kiteforum.com

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Self Rescue. Quoted from Kiteforum.com

Post by Tighe »

Author How to teach Self Rescue? to kite instructor!!!
kitesurfbali
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello to all,
recently I have been discussing with some other kite instructor about the best method to teach self rescue to beginner.
As in the kiteschool.org I teach that if you have to perform a self rescue you need to deflate the leading edge and roll the kite starting from the tip with the bar inside then pack all with your harness leaving the safety leash out to drag the kite packed!!!
A big international kite association say that you never have to deflate the kite (can sink) but hold it with your feet or your arm and swim.
I can agree on this method if your are really close to shore or if there is no wind at all.
But if the wind is too strong or you are away from shore or if you need to be rescue by boat or other kitesurfer, the wind push you off shore. In all this cases you need to pack.....
What do you think??????
Fly safe, Jankie

busyboy
With my knowledge, I would say:

Start off by disconnecting the lines on one side of the kite - not both, or you loose a chance of getting the kite back when you let it go. It now lost all its ability to fly. Let go a little bit of air from the leading edge... Just enoough to roll it up (or blow it up again, after you did your roll session). Maybe use the leash to keep the kite together, otherwise it will definately unroll...
Put yourselve on top of the kite. More chance to stay warm, save energy, better sight and better seen. On top of that, when you rolled it properly, you will have a beautiful breast stroke.

BusyBoy...
[ This Message was edited by: busyboy on 2002-12-21 17:26 ]

RickI
Ideally, if the wind is sideshore or side onshore and high enough in speed you should almost always be able to drag into shore using the kite as a sail with the leading edge inflated of course. Students in most areas should confine their kiteboarding to winds from these directions. If they go out in offshore winds they may have a hard time getting back in, if at all with their gear with them.

If a kiteboarder, new or otherwise, finds themselves in offshore winds and they aren't making adequate progress in swimming in, I would deflate the leading edge. I would then tow the kite in from one wing tip leaving the kite plastered to the water. Rolling the kite up will increase the wind drag on the kiteboarder as he tries to swim in. If he makes adequate progress, no problem, if not leave the kite flat.

Some people say to try to swim in on your board. I have some of the longer directionals in use in my area and I have never liked this approach. I have made better progress pulling the board and kite from the water while sidestroking. It is nice to have a reel leash to temporarily connect to the board at times like these.

Rick Iossi
[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2002-12-21 17:50 ]

kitesurfbali
So guys,
both of you agree that there is need to deflate the leading edge... If you put on a manual for beginner " never deflate your kite in any case as it could sink " I think is a very wrong statement!!!!! from the kiteboarding manual of IKO.
Wait for more feedback.
Bye Jankie

fokiten
I think that their is little chance of getting all the air out of the leading edge so sinking is not really an issue, always replace the nipple (he said nipple) water in the tube sucks, but will never sink the kite it neutraly bouent?we need spell checker

Anonymous
Unregistered User Posted: 2002-12-21 17:56   
From the beginning of time (some 3 years ago!]), people have shown how effective sailing yourself in with your kite can be, EVEN in light wind. Someone must have a link to some video somewhere.

swancvs
I am an extremely strong and fast swimmer (national standard (so what!!! ))

On one of my first ventures with my F-one 12.1 I went out in weak wind which turned offshore. We are talking 8-10knots max. More like 6 knots. The kite fell out of the sky at the first opportunity I gave it. I realised I couldn't re-launch so decided to swim.

I sorted my lines, left my board to it's own devices (I use a leash)hooked my toes and started to swim. I only needed to swim 250 metres, unfettered I would expect to cover this in 3 to 3.5 mins max even allowing for a wetsuit. Instead I was still swimming some 30 mins later. In the end I was helped by a fellow lifeguard!

Obvious though it is now you mention it, deflating the leading edge hadn't occured to me as I was worried about causing a downward drag. I will try both methods next time I'm bored and there is too little wind to play with.

Thanks for your input.

My money even though I haven't tried your method yet is to deflate and pack it up!

Anything is possible... How bad do you want it?

francky
hello
Have to swim back to shore a few times my experience show me that the best is to deflate the main tube then roll the kite and tie it with the board leash if u got one then put the kite on the board and swim on your back holding the board by the nose so it will help you float ...

Royce
hey. I swim in alot but only would deflate my kite in offshore or strong out going tides. firstly if your kite is down i like to tie my safety to the board and pull myself carefully down the outside of my lines. if the kite relaunces or anything bad happens then the board will go by you and even if you miss it will act to stop the kite. if you have a good safety also the lines won't tangle letting you relaunch it latter if the wind comes back or if youre out ther forever.. once you get to the kite grab both ends and point it at the beach. alot easier than swimming. Also if you roll up your kite even in offshore winds you make yourself almost invisible from the beach or to your friends. something else that is good by tying your bar to the board is you can get to the kite, untangle/ retie/ reinflate/ or repair almost anything. when you have fixed it you grab the front line and slowly sail the kite away until you get to the board, undo the safety and relaunch the thing. only bummer...if the kite gets away the board will follow so hopefully you are careful or have a flotation aid.

busyboy

busyboy
Personally,
The risk of: "the kite gets away the board will follow so hopefully you are careful or have a flotation aid", is a little bit big and to me the rest looks pretty complicated (especially for beginner kitesurfers). But I guess one will be able to do it in some sort of situation.......

Nico
It has hapened that I have had to paddle in on my board from behind the coral reef to the beach, aprox 1 Km away,in 30km + offshore, and I have always left my kite inflated with my feet hooked over the leading edge bladder, myself lying on my board like I do when surfing. For this you have to move your harness buckle to the side.
I have found this method the simplest and fastest way to get in.
If you are riding a too small a board to lie on, this system does not work too well though, and here I place my board upside down in the inflated kite and just swim in towing the whole setup on my leash ( best to move the leash to your hip for this), the leading edge of the board hooks in between the main bladder and canopy, and does not come appart.
I agree with IKO, NEVER deflate your kite, it becomes a drag very easily.
Regards
Nico

Kitedude
I also agree with the IKO as regards never deflating your kite. It can certainily create a drag have you ever tried to lift a kite that is lying flat out in the water it can sometinmes create a suction and act basically like a plunger. Also if the winds are blowing off shore by the time you have deflated your kite you might find yourself a few hundred yards out.its a good idea too catch the leading edge between your legs face windwards and paddle in (if any off you can do the sidestroke this is an ideal time to use it, hold the kite in one hand and on your side kick your leg like a sisscors and pull you spare arm down through the water.).Sure it will take some time but it will teach you to go out in offshore winds (in cross shore winds you should be able to relaunch and body drag in)

All the best.