Kiter's Elbow

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

Mike W

Kiter's Elbow

Post by Mike W »

Anyone have a remedy for kiter's elbow. I know Mark was suffering from it this summer. My left arm has been bothering me. Any good exercises or stretches that work?
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

I guess a bottle cap placed right on the sore area wrapped with a compress works. It worked for Doug Bole(sp?) & Mike D.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Ice, vitamin I (ibuprofin), curls at the gym... Taking some Vitamin I right before you go out seems to stave it off a bit, too.

Never tried the bottlecap method, I'll have to look into that one.

-Coach
Terry Dunklee

Post by Terry Dunklee »

If you're having pain at or just below the outer bone prominence you probably have lateral epicondylitis-----try to search the web. This usually results from continuous or repetitive use of the hand, especially strong grasping. The only cure is to give up kiting and windsurfing for at least 9-10 months-------just kidding. Physical therapy techniques of heat followed by stretching prior to activity and icing after use should gradually reduce your symptoms. Regular doses of ibuprofen (3-4 times/day) for 10-14 days will also help speed recovery.
Terry Dunklee

Post by Terry Dunklee »

P.S. -----also called tennis elbow ----but lateral epicondylitis sounds a lot more impressive don't you think?
Denis

Post by Denis »

I had a really bad case of Kiter's elbow in South Padre earlier this year, when I was riding 6-8 hours per day. It got to the point where it would wake me up at night and was I biting my pillow in pain for a couple of hours.

Then I realized that I had all my kites dialed way out on my front lines. I brought them in so that my front lines were a litle shorter. That relieved some pressure and I could relax my death grip on the bar. My case of kiter's elbow seemed to have almost vanished since then.

Denis
Coach

Post by Coach »

Leave it to a doctor for a much better description of the remedy than mine! Thanks Terry - I never knew the official name, but it's been plaguing me for quite some time. Sadly, I usually just ignore the problem until it starts to hurt again, then I try to counter it... Not the best way to keep 'em from hurting! :-)

-Coach
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

That is Tennis Elbow alright. I had it really bad about 10 years ago from Wind Surfing. Get a Pneumatic Arm Band by Aircast, this is what a doctor will give you. Wear it everytime you kite, kind of a hassle but it will help heal the problem. Once you get this you are more prone to get it again. I wear one on my bad arm when ever I do anything repetitive, ie., raking leaves, screwing drywall, etc. You can also get a shot of Cortisone in the area, but you are not supposed to use it for a week or so or you can waste the effect of the Cortisone. It takes me 3 to 6 mos. to get rid of it everytime I get it. That's why prevention can be a better solution. The Aircast will prevent as well as heal. Wear the Air Cast anytime you feel a twinge in the elbow, (once you get rid of it). http://www.buyaircast.com/pneumatic-armband.htm
They make lots of great sports braces. Good luck.
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Great! Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.